Strange vibration?

cootertwo

Living Legend
Ride
2013, & 2 05's R3R, 2006, 2004 Harley's, 2004 Kaw
Went out for a ride yesterday, (2014 R3R, 8000 miles on clock) and about 3/4 through the ride, picked up a vibration, noticed in handle bars first, then pegs, then instruments shaking. Hard to describe, or diagnose. Not engine related, stays the same, clutch engaged, or not. It's a constant rumble, like if you were going over a continuous strip of small speed bumps. After inspection, it almost looks like the rear wheel is cocked a bit. Tire almost touching left side of swing arm, maybe 1/8" clearance, and about an inch clearance on the other side. Also when looking at where the final drive fits onto the wheel hub, it looks like it is out of sorts, like the front of the rear wheel is twisted to the left. Maybe a bad rear wheel bearing ???? I did have the final drive replaced under warranty, a few thousand miles ago, so I'm contemplating on whether to have dealer come pick it up ($100 1 way) or pull the rear wheel and have a look see? I knew I shouldn't have been bragging about her, the other day. Anybody else out there ever have or hear of such a problem? It's bad enough I don't want to ride it, but I fear the dealer might come up with the old "Hardley" phrase, "oh, they all do that". I guess with warranty still in place, I should let them come get it, and cross my fingers, toes, and anything else that will cross.

If they have already fixed it you should not have to pay them to come and get it to fix it again.

Do you have break down cover that will take it to the nearest dealer?

Sounds like possible FD Bearing. Is there any leakage from the seals?

Some BMW's have had similar FD issues. Better to catch it before it becomes catastrophic failure and does more damage.

Well, they are closed today, (Monday) so I'll give them a call tomorrow. I was curious if anyone else had heard of such a problem. They are nice people, and seem to know what they are doing, I just don't like other people working on my bike, but warranty being what it is..... 3 or 4 thousand miles back, the final drive was weeping oil out the square opening on the bottom. They replaced it no charge. I figger maybe if it "is" a warranty thing, maybe the towing fee will be included. If I get energized, I'll go out and jack it up, and see if I can wiggle anything. Thanks Guys for the replies.

You said the magic words that you had it replaced under warranty... They extend replaced parts for 12 months/12000miles under remaining warranty.

Wouldn't hurt to jack her up and see if the wheel is loose or sloppy while mounted. Plus you could free spin it to see if you feel something. If all else fails you could come up with a better discription for the dealer. If you find a definete problem the dealer might come pick it up for free since he just replaced the final drive under warranty. It could be they installed something wrong. Which they should cover whether its a waranty issue or not. Its starting to look like the new Roadsters are not much better improved then the older Rockets. Sometimes you just can't do away with human error. Either way I would not ride it until you get it sorted out.

Do NOT ride it! If the final drive was not lined up correctly, as per the instructions in the manual, then it could have put undue stress on other parts such as bearings which could then fail.

OK, jacked the ole Girl up, and I believe it's the U-joint. With it in gear, I have a 1 1/2 to 2" of slop back and forth. And in first gear idling with rear wheel off the ground, can hear slight clanking/loose sounds from the front portion of the tube/swing arm, that has the shaft running through. Will call them tomorrow for a pick-up. 7,301 miles on the clock. NO wheelies or burnouts, but I do bust 100mph EVERY time I ride anywhere. Oh well. Gotta drag the Kaw ZRX1200r out of the barn. But after having the Rocket, and being 6'2"/200lbs, I feel like an elephant on a moped! Ha!

Back