spintothewall

Standard Bore
Ride
2014 Rocket Roadster
Hello, Folks,

Just checking in, as I expect to be an official owner very soon (R3R). I bought a Storm in August and have had my share of problems, so I'm in the process of making a swap with Triumph. I'm headed for the 2014 matte black & white.

Incidentally, I rode the bike for the second time yesterday and was a little concerned when I disengaged the clutch for a downshift to 2nd and the bike stalled. I noticed there was a thread on this, but I'm curious to know how serious the issue is.

Cheers!

Eric

I don't know, mine stalled yesterday for no apparent reason but started right back up. like any manufactures there can be isolated problems and I don't know what your Storm put you thru to make you trade it but stay within brand? I'll say I traded my Storm for a 06 R3s and am going to be putting some money into my tranny. Everything ive read says the bikes dialed in and the tranny's been fixed since 08-09. welcome Cap, you thought the Storm put a grin on your face. Your from chicago are you dealing with MCC? I recommend.

Yes, I'm sticking with Triumph, even though I felt like I got stuck real good with the Storm. Prior to that I had a Tiger 800XC, which was okay for what it was but otherwise bored the crap out of me. My brother-in-law used to live in Carole Stream (Vince Freitag?), and, yes, I am working with MCC. Geoff has been great. The only bad part of the situation is "November in Chicago".

yea, geoff is infectous with his love of bikes, his brother has that 900 thunderbird back there. I didn;t grow up in CS so only know my neighbors, many seem to be indians every time I look around!!! I managed 14k trouble free miles on my storm even though the engine sounded like a paint mixer! A brother bought a 2013 R3t this spring and we get together on saturdays for all day rides when work allows, survive winter and join us in the spring.

Yes, that Big Twin certainly has character, but there were just too many "features" that I couldn't get used to. The gigantic typewriter under the tank was one of them, but the stumbles, throttle drop-outs and explosive backfires through the air box ultimately made the package intolerable. I tried some different configurations that I hoped would tone things down, but I couldn't make it happen and didn't think I should have to twist myself in knots to make a brand new bike behave properly.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to a new start, and I'd love to hook up for some rides! Count me in anytime.

Hello, Folks,

Just checking in, as I expect to be an official owner very soon (R3R). I bought a Storm in August and have had my share of problems, so I'm in the process of making a swap with Triumph. I'm headed for the 2014 matte black & white.

Incidentally, I rode the bike for the second time yesterday and was a little concerned when I disengaged the clutch for a downshift to 2nd and the bike stalled. I noticed there was a thread on this, but I'm curious to know how serious the issue is.

Cheers!

Eric
I've only had that happen to me once and that was after I was coming to a stop at a traffic light after having grabbed a serious handful of throttle. Never happened again though.

Just to offer the view from the other side....My 2014 Rocket has never stalled or displayed anything other than perfect response to any throttle input. There was a thread on here over the summer about a new bike stalling at lights.....dealer adjusted something and the problem was gone. Given that the Rocket has been in production for so long most of the bugs have been worked out so it is a very reliable ride.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing and I'm hoping that something shows up on the diagnostics (TPS/Stepper/etc.)

Welcome to the site from NJ, spintothewall!

I believe that the problem has been isolated and identified as a minor factory set-up or dealership prep issue... my memory fails me, but I'm certain that one of our techie savants will be along shortly to answer your concern.

Stalling when pulling in the clutch to stop is a reasonably common issue and your dealer should take care of it at your first service if not sooner. The TPS is generally the culprit that has taken the most blame I believe, although mine never went through this particular phase.

Back