Starter Motor Question

Mark Dunn

.060 Over
Ride
2009 R3 standard
Hi all,

My Rocket is a 2009 standard with Eastern Beaver headlight mod', original pipes and cat box. I recently replaced the battery negative cable using 4 awg cable it and made a noticeable difference to the ease of starting. I'm looking at replacing the positive battery cable too, but the bolt that holds the positive cable to the starter motor is rather inaccessible.

To completely remove the starter motor would involve removing the cat box (and probably the left side exhaust, too), - which is a pain. Does anyone know, if after removing the starter motor's two fixing bolts, it can be pulled a little back and rotated enough to gain access to the positive connection bolt?

Thanks!

Mark

Mark, if you pull the starter out a bunch of chit will fall down on the part of it that sticks into the engine. If you get dirt on the o-ring it probably won't seal again. Pulling the cat box and cleaning around the starter first would be a better idea. Removing the exhaust isn't that hard. The cat is actually only held on with one bolt and the clamps on the pipes.

On my R3T the starter spins like a sowing machine but then I'm feeding it from the largest Shorai lithium-iron battery in their lineup with a 540 CCA equivalent rating. It's a bit of an investment but in addition to upgrading cables, upgrading the battery tech might be an idea.

Hi cr0ft,

Yes, I saw some Shorai's at my local dealer and was surprised at how light they are, considering the punch they pack.

Mark

Hey Mark, you may want to rethink the positive cable replacement. A much easier alternative is fitting a secondary starter relay. TeeDee on the other site pointed me towards this fix and it works great. As you know, the primary starter relay divides the headlight and starter circuits. Either the headlights are shining or the starter is engaged. The EB kit that you mounted takes the load off the ignition switch by connecting to the battery and activates only when the headlight circuit is live. The secondary starter relay does the same thing. Right now the starter circuit is still going through the ignition switch. This new mod will run the starter directly off the battery and activate only when the primary circuit is live.

tdragger and ROCKETHEAD,

I've copied the posting and diagram for the starter relay mod and it looks straightforward, so I may well do that. Since the positive battery cable needs to carry significant amperage and, in my opiion borderline for the job, I'll likely upgrade that too. Thank you for your suggestions.

Mark

Back