starter does not want to spin ...solution

albertaduke

former airline pilot without the big bucks
Ride
2021 rocket3 GT
I had on and off this annoying problem of starter not spinning I figured the plunger or copper elements in the solenoid would be toast I ordered from the UK a repair kit consisting of new plunger new side copper connectors and various washers 10 days after ordering the stuff showed up on my door step one hour and it is back on and spinning every time , I had to remove the left jardine exhaust and pax footpeg all in all one hour 's work naturally bike is on a table lift which makes it easy.
so here is the step by step replacement in pictures

IMG_1579.JPG
IMG_1580.JPG
IMG_1581.JPG
IMG_1582.JPG
IMG_1583.JPG
IMG_1584.JPG
IMG_1585.JPG
IMG_1586.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like you may well be able to do the job without removing the starter motor from the engine. Good link!

Looks like you may well be able to do the job without removing the starter motor from the engine. Good link!
I do not know how you could ? but it is so much easier when the starter is on the bench.. the bolts on each side of the contact points were extremely hard to undo I needed to put the whole assembly in a vise , beside only two long bolts are holding the starter onto the engine case my starter BTW is not the OEM it is the upgraded denso starter used on the toyota something

thanks for the post. im having this issue with mine so will be the next thing for me to look into.

Back