Standard to touring

steve59

Nitrous
Ride
2016 KTM 1290 SDR SE. 2012 K1600 GTL Schwinn S-30
I have a nice standard Rocket an 06 with just over 20,000 miles on the clock, but I can't stop checkin' out the touring model if anyone has gone from the standard/classic/roadster to the touring I would appreciate the time you took to describe the difference since it's impossible for me to get a test ride around here.

I have a nice standard Rocket an 06 with just over 20,000 miles on the clock, but I can't stop checkin' out the touring model if anyone has gone from the standard/classic/roadster to the touring I would appreciate the time you took to describe the difference since it's impossible for me to get a test ride around here.
Call me tomorrow I have had both. Why won't mcc let you?

Basically...less power but a heck of a lot more torque. Touring has saddlebags, one headlight, differently designed bear claw and comes with a lot of accessories as part of the purchase price, skinnier back tire and more functional for me. The Standard is just, plainly speaking, a beast with all that added HP available, twin headlights (with accompanying possible ignition switch problem...maybe) and that 240 rear tire.

I liked both...as far as speed goes...both are fast...get you up to over hundred in a heartbeat...would one day like to have the Roadster as well and if possible a T-bird as the perfect Triumph Triple combo.

Basically...less power but a heck of a lot more torque. Touring has saddlebags, one headlight, differently designed bear claw and comes with a lot of accessories as part of the purchase price, skinnier back tire and more functional for me. The Standard is just, plainly speaking, a beast with all that added HP available, twin headlights (with accompanying possible ignition switch problem...maybe) and that 240 rear tire.

I liked both...as far as speed goes...both are fast...get you up to over hundred in a heartbeat...would one day like to have the Roadster as well and if possible a T-bird as the perfect Triumph Triple combo.

Under that mild mannered Touring model is 48 RWHP just waiting to get out ,nothing radical just filter, Tors and a remap then you have the best of both worlds , turns the Tourer into a bit of a sleeper,I find the "skinny back tyre allows the bike to respond quicker in the corners ,it wasn't long ago a 180 rear tyre was regarded as "huge".

I'd really love a 180 or 200 rear tyre on mine , wouldn't mind the hardbags as well .. but the overall looks of the Touring doesn't grab me like the Standards and Roadsters does.

I'd really love a 180 or 200 rear tyre on mine , wouldn't mind the hardbags as well .. but the overall looks of the Touring doesn't grab me like the Standards and Roadsters does.

I like all 3 variations (pardon the pun) but favour the Touring style ,screen, footboards seat , and hard bags, the same as I favoured my Suzuki Boulevard C109Rt tourer over the M109r and my Suzuki GSx 1400 over the 1250 Bandit just personal choice ,

I like all 3 variations (pardon the pun) but favour the Touring style ,screen, footboards seat , and hard bags, the same as I favoured my Suzuki Boulevard C109Rt tourer over the M109r and my Suzuki GSx 1400 over the 1250 Bandit just personal choice ,

Thing is I got the Touring Package thrown in when I bought mine back in '09. So I got screen , bags , crashbars and sissybar already. Bolted a set of floorboards onto mine a year or so ago but went back to the pegs. Guess I like that I can have mine stripped back to the bare bones .. or bolt the gear on when travelling .. still prefer a 200 back tyre though.

Thing is I got the Touring Package thrown in when I bought mine back in '09. So I got screen , bags , crashbars and sissybar already. Bolted a set of floorboards onto mine a year or so ago but went back to the pegs. Guess I like that I can have mine stripped back to the bare bones .. or bolt the gear on when travelling .. still prefer a 200 back tyre though.

Sounds like you have the combo you enjoy TC,just for something to do the other day I took the screen of my touring the Backrest and rack and the hard bags, all quick detachable, no more than of 5 minutes , I have chrome plates that go over the bag mounts to dress it up ,the touring without all the whistles and bells looks completely different ,and feels different to ride ,the 240 tyre was what put me off the C109RT,I just never felt confident riding in the twisties, the Touring feels more like the Triumphs of old.

Call me tomorrow I have had both. Why won't mcc let you?
They let me out on a used r3s but they want to keep their r3t in showroom condition, I met the guy that bought the bike I ended up walking away from and they didn't let him out for a ride either. anyhow good news for me Woodstock hd/triumph has a 2013 r3t demo with d&d pipes so I can get my ride in and hopefully get rid of this itch once and for all. Still appreciate the replys.

The R3 Touring rides much better and is more comfortable. I wasn't a fan at first untill I rode one felling how nice it rode and handled. The factory gel seat is the best seat ever. I loved my standard Classic and may someday own one again. But for now, I'm hooked on the R3 Touring model. By the way, with a header exhaust system and a remap of the ECM, the Touring model can deliver as much horsepower and torque as the classic. Mine does and I'm certain it as fast or faster than my standard was. What an ausome engine. It has me so spoiled that I don't think I'll ever be satisfied with a different bike. After seven years of owning an R3 it still puts a smile on my face.

Back