Bigrigbalsom

Standard Bore
Ride
Rocket 3 classic
Hi Folks,
I have just purchased an 06 classic and obviously not knowing too much about, I attemp a service, in doing so I resea an iridium plug upgrade from NGK bpr7e9 to bpr 8eix I refilled the oil and replace the plugs in order but when started, it ran very erratic and my engine management light came on! I've checked all connections to leads etc but all seems fine, as soon as I put it in gear it shuts off! Help! I've always used iridium plug upgrades before on my other bikes with no problems!

Download TuneECU, get yourself a cable, and you will be able to see what the CEL lights are for. The manual is also helpful.

Last edited:
I would check the low tension leads to the coils as you might have upset them. They work loose anyway and should be on a normal maintenance check when you do the oil change. re-crimp them with a pair of pliers so they go on snugly. Your problem might be you disturbed them or a few other connections especially while changing #1 plugs as a lot of wires connect in that area. Of course I do not know how much or how you went about changing the plugs but I am first attacking this as if the high tension leads are still fine. below is a picture of #2 coil with the leads hooked to them. this will aid you in making sure they are right on your coils after you clean and re-crimp them.
Did you turn the engine over with the coils unhooked?

2011_0122_161942.jpg

note the placement of the wires.

I believe Iridium plugs have been shown to reduce electrical flow and make a weaker spark. Generally not recommended for motorcycles due to weaker ignition coils as compared to cars. The advantage is longer life.

I use them on mine but gaped different due to Forced Air. How about Ruzz what brand are you using now. You to Peter Speak up I know your running them Ducati coils!!!!

They have come a long way in spark plugs and engine management systems. I changed the plugs in my Dodge Hemi at 150,000. It was running fine but I was getting worried I might not be able to get them out. I figured those would be iridium and was bracing for the cost of replacing 16 of them (two per cylinder). Turns out they were just standard plugs. Bought them on sale for 74 cents apiece ! On another occasion I replaced the plugs in a supercharged riviera I had with standard plugs as they were listed as a replacement. It ran terrible. I took them back and they credited me towards a set of iridiums. The guy said that wasn't the first time he'd seen that.

Back