Scratch-built airbox

dbutton12

.060 Over
Ride
2008 R3T
This project actually began because I wanted to use the stock airbox for my amp. After looking over the filter/airbox possibilities available for the R3T I decided I would have to be creative. I have always preferred a symetrical look, so I started researching velocity stacks.....you know, old school but with the filter caps on them. What would look better than 3 exhaust on rt and 3 intake on left. That was not to happen, although i may experiment with that in the future. I settled on the chrome end, tapered filter pods from K&N (I just happened to have 2 of these left over from an old project, so I only had to buy one more) I did not build this prototype with aluminum because thin sheet aluminum is really hard to tig weld and I am not proficient enough to tackle it. So,,,copper it is....very easy to work with and only requires clean surfaces to solder it together. I have a bud who is a very good tig welder and may enlist his help on an aluminum version next winter. I guess looks really aren't much of a factor because so little of the airbox shows once the bearclaw is installed. It took a bit of time to get the openings correct on the bearclaw since I wanted to be able to remove it without lifting the tank. Initially I had it so that the claw was bolted in place then the tank (with claw) lowered into place. The tank is a ***** on the touring because you have to remove the gauge cluster before lifting. I relocated the rad expansion tank to the top of the cam cover (lots of room up there now) and fab'd a crankcase breather tube that plumbs into the back of the airbox. I don't like that idea of putting a tiny filter down at the rear of the engine because it can allow moisture into the crankcase (besides, the plumbing didn't cost anything and I was able to use the stock rubber elbow on the bottom end. The end result came out well and I am able to sit comfortably without having to hang my knee out to clear a filter. I uploaded more pics to the general file, so check them out if you have time and let me know what you think.
Dale

Attachments

• 100_0373.jpg
    100_0373.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 442
  • 100_0369.jpg
    100_0369.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 415
  • 100_0381.jpg
    100_0381.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 412
Well I am not sure how the power will be but then the dyno is coming soon I imagine. It sure looks clean and rather sharp in my opinion. I would give some thought to adding the temp/IAT sensor along with the AAP sensor that is on the upper right front corner of the air box. I can see from the way your siting on the bike that you are not a short feller so with that being said smaller guys will be able to use larger filter if they choose.

IAT sensor...

Well I am not sure how the power will be but then the dyno is coming soon I imagine. It sure looks clean and rather sharp in my opinion. I would give some thought to adding the temp/IAT sensor along with the AAP sensor that is on the upper right front corner of the air box. I can see from the way your siting on the bike that you are not a short feller so with that being said smaller guys will be able to use larger filter if they choose.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the IAT has been relocated to just under the headlight bracket, up where it will reflect true ambient temps. I am not using the triumph IAT because it is skewed temp-wise. It read about 17degreesF too high. I put a thread up on this a while back, so I still don't know if this was something isolated to my bike or if others have encountered this issue. I am currently using a Delco IAT, which is much smaller and only requires a rubber grommet for mounting. I added about 10" to the harness and used a Delco weather-pak connector. This also works nice in another way since I use a scan-gauge that is permanently mounted to the bar. I can read all the OBD data parameters (coolant temp, RPM, intake air temp, etc), so I have my tach, temp gauge and more!!!! It was a great investment.

Interesting look. I like it. Just wondering if those smaller filters are as water resistant as the K&Ns, especially angled that way.

Water???

Interesting look. I like it. Just wondering if those smaller filters are as water resistant as the K&Ns, especially angled that way.

I've never considered water in/on air filters to be an issue unless they are paper filters. By mounting them sideways, no water can run into the airbox and if I'm riding in the rain, a little moisture is a welcome addition to the incoming a/f mixture. Some of my off-road engines use water/alcohol injection.......they love it. My race snowmobile uses velocity stacks and ingests tremendous amounts of snow and ice....and loves it. As long as water is atomized (or vaporized) it is OK, just don't let it get a slug of liquid H20 or we all know what will happen then.

Very nice that's a even better idea I was playing with but couldn't get work in my mind, I was toying with the idea of a common chamber like you have but using my RX4040 and mount them slightly forward as you have but angled. My concern was would I lose efficiency as I would not have room for a velocity stack as well in there so I shelved it for now.
Definitely the way to go in putting larger filters on the Touring, well done

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the IAT has been relocated to just under the headlight bracket, up where it will reflect true ambient temps. I am not using the triumph IAT because it is skewed temp-wise. It read about 17degreesF too high. I put a thread up on this a while back, so I still don't know if this was something isolated to my bike or if others have encountered this issue. I am currently using a Delco IAT, which is much smaller and only requires a rubber grommet for mounting. I added about 10" to the harness and used a Delco weather-pak connector. This also works nice in another way since I use a scan-gauge that is permanently mounted to the bar. I can read all the OBD data parameters (coolant temp, RPM, intake air temp, etc), so I have my tach, temp gauge and more!!!! It was a great investment.

I sure would like to see pictures of your scan guage set up. And maybe some more information on the Delco IAT like part numbers and what you did for the wireing. I moved mine to the intake base plate I am messig with along with the AAP I believe having it under the fuel take was not givving a true measurement even tho it was in the OEM hot intake duct. Of course the Air ram system Gary had on the bike moved it into the plennum but I still think it was getting soem slight fasle air temp readings.

And on my SC bike it is ine the intake charge pipe righ after the intercooler.

I am realy interested in the OBD scan guage stuff as I was think I could add another plug under the seat for it while keeping one for the TUNE BOY software link cable. I link up many times and would not want to keep unhooking the scan guage.
Thanks for your input.

I'll get some pics of scan gauge mount>>>

Warp9 where did you get the oil temp gauge for the reservoir. I can't make it out too well but that looks like what it is. I have one on my america and would like to put one on the Rocket.
Yes, I will get some info/pics on both the scangauge and the IAT. As far as the IAT nearly any GM or Chrysler product used them. They push into a grommet located in the flex tube or in the airbox itself. Shouldn't be more than $5 at junkyard anywhere and then you can rob a section of harnes so that you have a connector to go with it. I think any years from 1996-2006 should work for you.

Back