Russell Day Long Seat Failure

seat

Greyfox, I have been a upholster for over 30 years and did a lot of out door stuff and I could tell you that is not out door vynal with RV protection no way that should happen, when ever I did out side stuff I alwaysed covered it with water proof foam so it doesn't get wet and grow mildew. Anything that is wet all the time and never gets to dry will grow.
I always say even if its vynal or leather its always good to at least treat them once or twice a year but most people don't.

It sucks that Russel will not stand behind his work he could of bought a bad batch or his supplier sold him the wrong stuff.
I just moved back to Toronto and I am getting back into it but keeping it small just bike seats and chairs and other small seats maybe cars.
So heres the deal you send me your seat and pay for shipping it to me and back to you and I'll do your seat for you for $160.00, you even buy a gell of your choice and I will insert it for you with no extra charge. I will even shave off some foam if you need your seat a little lower no charge.
Just mark were you sit in your seat and I'll do the rest.
I will be working from home thats why I'm able to keep my price down and I feel sorry for you:)
Oh this is only good until Christmas:)

My number one customer is the Russell seat owner and number two is the Corbin buyer. You're not the only one, that I can tell you.
KOF

Looks ugly but the RDL seats are butt ugly to begin with, who in hell wants to ride around with a goldwing type sofa seat?
RDL screwed up here if he does not correct the problem it will end up costing him a lot of business.
Send him a link to these posts and see if he responds.

IJust mark were you sit in your seat and I'll do the rest.
I will be working from home thats why I'm able to keep my price down and I feel sorry for you:)
Oh this is only good until Christmas:)

Careful Kevin, the Russel uses the corrugated style upholstery spring going out to the 'wings'.
I have a RDL and had sent it back to them for adjustment, 3 times at my expense, to no satisfaction. The seat is over all comfortable BUT-
I wanted to sit down in the bike as opposed up on top of it ( the RDL is 2 + inch rise in height) I finally removed the cover and started shaving the foam and removing underlayment at the base. Almost there but the spring is exposed in spots.

I know you have a ton of experience in upholstery but watch out for MC seat reconstruction. Every one will put up with temporary discomfort in a chair but not on a bike.

Thanks for the heads up, but as long as I have been doing upholstery I have worked with all types of sprining and could say I have upholstered a lot of different things.
To bad I wasn't still in Seattle I would of fixed you up.
You wait untill you see what I am going to do fo a custom mortercycle seat for my Rocket its going to have springs in it and gell and the best foam you can buy and it should be the most cumfortable seat on the market.
And I could tell you no shop out there will make a seat like this because they would need to charge way to much to sell it.
But I am fed up I need a really nice seat thats cufortable and supports my lower back and when I go over a bump the seat will take the shock not my back.
my winter project :)
temporary discomfort in a chair but not on a bike. ?
I could say a lot of people are riding in discomfort on there bike becasue a lot don't want to spend the money on a nice seat, its riders like you that don't want discomfort on a bike and want to spend the money, your the customers I want:)

Seems to be the way of customer service these days. It's a bad economy and the sales and margins aren't where these little companies need to stay profitable in the short-term, so customer service and warranty work are suffering as a result.

In my opinion, very short-sighted.

Crap like this will impact sales....including me. I was considering one of these seats this winter but will now look elsewhere. They still have a chance to step up to the plate....I would give them another shot after getting a letter or two from local upholsterers explaining that it is definitely a material defect, not an abuse or neglect on your part.

Good luck...keep us updated.

bad seats

Well, add me to the growing list of lost customers for a russel daylong., I may consider getting my seat done by cane, since he is very close to where I live.
Keep us updated on what you do with your seat.
Mac

Macrider, how close are you to Richmond Hill? We should meet one time and go for a ride before the snow:)

No matter how big or small you are customer service is so inportant people seem to be great when they are selling you something but as soon as you have a problem they don't know you anymore.
Yes I will post pictures I might do it before winter we will see.

seat

Hi Cane, I am about 40 minutes north east of Richmond Hill , a town called Sutton.
I will be busy the next few weekends getting ready for the coming winter as I have to start getting my dock and boat in.
Sometime around the end of October you should come up and ride the south shore of Lake Simcoe.
Its a gorgous scenic ride in the fall along the lake, and its very popular with bikers.
contact me later.
Mac

Back