Rough Idle after adjustment to speedo

tdragger

Living Legend
Scratching my head a bit on this one. Maybe you folks can help.

I've been running a version of the 20226 tune for several years with the speedo adjusted -5.5 percent and the O2 sensor turned off.

Last weekend, I read the map off the bike into TuneECU and set the speedo adjustment back to 0.0 and saved the map. I then downloaded it to the ECU. No other changes were made.

I reset adaptives as you should always do after loading a map.

Now a problem has developed when slowing down for a traffic light and pulling in the clutch the idle drops down to almost 400-500 for about 5 seconds before recovering back to about 900-950 where it should be. A few times the bike has died requiring a rolling restart.

Is this happening due to resetting the adaptives?

yes:) probably;) i don't know:(
i would do the 12 minute tune.

i am not the expert on tunes.
to my understanding the reset adapts puts settings back to original then as you drive the bike learns how you drive and makes changes.
the 12 minute makes the changes while it is running.
because u have the o2 turned off my opinion is the only thing the 12 minute tune will do is set the map sensor which may be good enough.
you might want to reload tune set speedo and not do the relearn.

You probably shouldn't have reset the adaptives as it was essentially the same tune that you put back in. As you did reset them, the bike is now trying to adapt back to where it should be.

i am not the expert on tunes.
to my understanding the reset adapts puts settings back to original then as you drive the bike learns how you drive and makes changes.
the 12 minute makes the changes while it is running.
because u have the o2 turned off my opinion is the only thing the 12 minute tune will do is set the map sensor which may be good enough.
you might want to reload tune set speedo and not do the relearn.

Thanks. I really do appreciate the help.

I may have been under the wrong impression for a number of years now. I had always thought that at the end of the 12 minute procedure, the ECU would reset the adaptives back to an initial state and so that the learning process could begin. You're saying that the 12 minute procedure is the learning process. I'm not sure if that is correct.

You probably shouldn't have reset the adaptives as it was essentially the same tune that you put back in. As you did reset them, the bike is now trying to adapt back to where it should be.

You know, I think that when you load a new tune that the reset adaptives is run automatically anyway. I heard the same clicks and whirling after loading the tune as when I made the reset menu selection.

The 12 minute tune is the learning process. If you don't do the 12 minute tune then the bike will learn while you are riding. However, it may cough and splutter, idle low, and even cut out during the process - possibly leading to accidents, injury, or even death. (Legal disclaimer crap.)

what i believe.
the 12 minute is strictly for idle. u start cold and it learns calibrates the idle setting cold to hot. then when u drive it is constantly adapting assuming that you have an o2 sensor.
the tunes that are passed around are programmed are set a little richer and with the o2 turned off do not adapt.
hanso is one of the experts and if u send him a pm i am sure he can confirm what i have said or tell u if i am wrong.

Hi tdragger,

It might be worth checking the loaded map to make sure that the O2 sensor is still turned off.

Regards,
Mark Dunn

Back