Rockets Across America III

Rotation of event.

I like the idea of rotating the event around geographically. I researched the trip to Maggie Valley, NC and found it a one way marathon of 2491 miles by the shortest route or 36.5 hours one way...yikes...thats what I get for living in SE Washington....:mad:..SB.

My 2 cents

I traveled in the Maggie Valley, Blue Ridge Parkway area in 06. (during the Katrina mess) We (group of about 12 as I recall) stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Erwin Tennesee. Manager there at that time was Mike Bishop, an avid biker himself. If time allows he will do a local tour, two wheels of course. Excellent accomadations, parking under the overhang out front, towels for cleaning, even had a meeting room for cards, BS, and tellin lies. It is beautiful country and not to far from all the local attractions. There is also a great motorycle museum in Maggie Valley. Wheels thru time (I think). Not even sure I can make it but I know it would be an enjoyable stay. I think at that time if you stayed 3 nights the fourth was free. so it kept the price down. ( for those that have lots of time or want to go early)

I like the idea of rotating the event around geographically. I researched the trip to Maggie Valley, NC and found it a one way marathon of 2491 miles by the shortest route or 36.5 hours one way...yikes...thats what I get for living in SE Washington....:mad:..SB.
Thats only half an oil change:D

That was deep. I was just saying if coming from TX It will be a 6 dayer at least. If it is Maggie I can stop by my mom's and pick here up on the way. If The timing is right and I can go I don't care where it is. Well I do but You know.

I was in one of my philosophical moods....must be the professor thing again.:D

I guess I just wanted to put in words my take on what I feel about doing a ride like this. I'd just as soon come your way. I spent almost 2 solid weeks doing the Nashville thing last summer. Executed countless bugs and tanned and burned, peeled and did it all again. What I/we did (I rode the entire trip with my longtime friends Ed & carol who have Harley's) ((they are in my pictures)) was to plan each day at around 300 miles or so. The only reservations we made ahead were Maggie Valley and Nashville. Everything else was impromptu. There are enough Stupid 8's and Motel Sexes out there that you almost can't miss. The first 2 days were a little rough on my butt, but after 2 days, either my butt got used to it or I learned to ignore it.

I strongly suspect that if, indeed the ride went west, I'd be a trailer queen to at least KC, probably to Pig9r's, Pianoman's or Tomo's house and ride from there. The trip from here to KC, through the St. Louis area is a bummer, 2 lane or 4 lane. There are only a limited number of ways to cross the big muddy and for the most part, they are all ugly. I also suspect that Britman would be with me even though he hasn't checked in yet. We discussed the possibility last year. Besides, he's a barrel of fun.:eek:

suggestion

If we do TX we can do the Beandera Loop and stay at tha Koyote Ranck witch is a biker resort in the hill country.
Has anyone been there or done the loop who can chime in.

where?

ok paul,
where is this place? i googled and got all kinds of ...... well, you know what i mean. :D
greg

Back