Rocket on the Bonneville Salt Flats

Idaho Red Rocket 3

Living Legend
Ride
2006 RIII Standard Bagger w/Fairing
Albertaduke and I stopped at the Bonneville Salt Flats on the way back from RAA IX. Patrick had never seen it so we diverted our route to stop there. I have visited there many times but never when the salts were dry enough to go out on it with more than foot or a bicycle. There were several folks out there on the high speed run track with cars. Do I dare ? Hell YES ! I took my Rocket out there just as she was loaded for the trip. The wind was blowing strongly from the west. Took her out cautiously to get a feel for the salt. Not very smooth but OK. A bit slippery. Got out to the high speed run track area and opened her up. Spun the back tire several times. It doesn't take much throttle to do so. Have you ever done a rear wheel spin burn out at 125 MPH ? Very interesting. Only went to 145 MPH and thought that was enough due to the wind and slightly slippery surface. Got her covered with salt and had to take her into Wendover, NV. to find a self serve power wash to clean her up.. Patrick took some pictures of me going out and coming back in. The high speed run track was too far out for him to shoot the run from the end of the road.

10120_ebd4cadecd412047eb7b6c084448ba3d.jpg 10124_6249f9f26a60b249bb77e69dfa132ad3.jpg 10125_ff2f2ff8fcf77fb50b599eb71e974a2d.jpg 10126_54c3da687ec33c058deea8e403af81bc.jpg

You can tick that one off the bucket list , and that is one that few will be able to do .. envious don't even come close to my feelings .. well done .

Yeah that looks like the I 80 rest area. The salt is so wet most of the time that is about all you get. Any weight just sinks in. I was so thrilled to see it dry enough to actually ride on it. I decided to try out my Dobeck Performance Electronic Jet Kit (EJK) for this run. Even at 4400 feet above sea level it provided the Rocket with plenty of power. I should have reconnected the AFR Plus and go back out for another run. I was pretty pumped when I came off the salt. Didn't think of it then. Buggers !

Yeah that looks like the I 80 rest area. The salt is so wet most of the time that is about all you get. Any weight just sinks in. I was so thrilled to see it dry enough to actually ride on it. I decided to try out my Dobeck Performance Electronic Jet Kit (EJK) for this run. Even at 4400 feet above sea level it provided the Rocket with plenty of power. I should have reconnected the AFR Plus and go back out for another run. I was pretty pumped when I came off the salt. Didn't think of it then. Buggers !
Dave and Tony have those 2 softails back in Aust. now. Dave imports low mileage Harley's and sell's them in his shop at Beenleigh. He usually turns over about 70 bikes a year. He has kept the black Softail that was bogged as his personal ride. Mainly because it was the bike that our good mate Peck who passed away last November rode to Sturgis last year.

Told my story to a few guys tonight at the Triumph Dealers Bike Night. One had experience at Bonneville last summer. He suggested I clean my air filter. Decided to pull the air filter to check it when I got home. Stock dry paper filter. Only saw 1 bug and 3 little bits of salt lodged in it. Looked OK, but blew it out with my compressor and holy cow. It was like a white dust storm. Took forever to blow clean. All clean again. I probably only rode a total of about 10 miles on the BSF.

Back