Rocket III vs. Suzuki M109R

I owned a suzuki 1500 intruder prior to my rocket, its a little brother to the M109. Hard to get much more bang for your buck. plastic chrome looks just like the real thing at 70 mph..:D But, you are talking a much smaller bike. ie. frame width, seat height, handlebar width, tire diameter, for bar hoppin and crusin town. If you plan to ride two up all day better leave the poser home. take a real bike.

I sure like that radiator better than ours.
Ours is just butt ugly. I haven't heard anyone say they like the looks of it yet.. We need a new design.
The one on the pic of the susi looks fast, thats what the roc needs. imho..
xhdskip

Yes... I am with you on that one. The V-Rod and this Suzuki are prime examples that a large radiator can be blended in much better than our bolt-on rectangle.

I sure like that radiator better than ours.
Ours is just butt ugly. I haven't heard anyone say they like the looks of it yet.. We need a new design.
The one on the pic of the susi looks fast, thats what the roc needs. imho..
xhdskip

Thank you all!

Wow, I didn't expect to receive many comments in 24 hours. Thank you all!! I really appreciate your input. This weekend, I will visit both dealers again to check the bikes out. I'm not in hurry to make a decision as I ride ZZR1200 right now, but definitely this summer or next. 2-3 grand difference is pretty huge for bike. But I'm sure RIII will pay you back by extra stuff such as less plastic, more HP, and of course, prestigious brand name.

It will be a difficult decision to make.....

What is typical discount rate for RIII? I live in Seattle. (Just moved from L.A... big difference in weather!!!)

You all have a great weekend!!! Ride safe! :cool:

From everything that I've read, the m/c rags all say that the Roc has a slight edge over the Suzi in performance, problably not enough for the average rider to make a significant difference.
Average rider is up against another average rider?

From my perspective, it comes down to your preference in the look and feel of the bike. I don't know how old you are but you may be able to remember back when Yamaha first introduced the V-max. It was the first true power cruiser. It had the massive engine look and high bars with the low rear-end. Much like a pony car of the mid 60's with the front end lifted. Gave it that "big-shouldered" look. The Roc follows that mold.

I prefer the "big-shouldered" look since it fits me better. Also, like TxRIIIRider said, it's a lot more versatile. I've got mine set up for touring but in less than an hour, the windshield gets shorter, the bags come off, and the touring seat goes to a single, thus completing the transformation from Joe Comfy to Billy Bad-ass.
What's up with that left silencer? It appears to be slung a bit off of straight. Link Removed
In this case it would be the right side :D

Last edited:
Those are Staintune exhausts and at the time the pict was taken E-III had some shorty Icon shocks. Since I put the stock shocks back on (due to tire rub issues when 2-up), the pipes have a better angle. Plus my Leatherlyke bags fit well with the pipes.

IMO they are not even close. Want a jap bike-or an English bike? Want a big twin-or a Triple? The RIII is a blast to ride-like nothing else-and looks like nothing else. It's in a class of it's own whereas the 109 is in a class with everybody else. Both are fine motorcycles-I like the "only me" factor of the RIII.

IMO they are not even close. Want a jap bike-or an English bike? Want a big twin-or a Triple? The RIII is a blast to ride-like nothing else-and looks like nothing else. It's in a class of it's own whereas the 109 is in a class with everybody else. Both are fine motorcycles-I like the "only me" factor of the RIII.
Well Said!! ;) I've been meaning to ask, KingOfFleece, are you a lawyer.
Why has it that a lawyer has never been attacked by a shark...
Professional courtesy :D

Last edited:
The M109 was just another v-twin cruiser for me. When I first saw one, I tapped all of the chrome and found it to be plastic, that was another turn off. There are some similarities between the bikes, USD forks, 240 rear, two plugs per cylinder.

I got my Rocket dyno'd at a Suzuki dealer and M109's with the same type of mods, PCIII, exhaust and K&Ns were still about 25 hp less than my Rocket. I have gotten a hold of one on the street and the Rocket is definately faster.
---For being 500 CCs smaller and a Vtwin thats commendable power,more than Kawaskis giant 2000 cruser that red lines at about 4500. If all the tins on the Rocket were plastic including tank do you think you could get a rocket down to a 109s weight???BJC Plus you can weld ABS with a soldering gun. Like to see a BUSA with steel farings and how much it would weigh and could cut a Greyhound in half at 187 MPH.--

---For being 500 CCs smaller and a Vtwin thats commendable power...
No question about that. But, a V-twin at that much RPM, nor a Busa, will be around 25+ years from now and still going as strong. There really is nothing stock off the line faster in it's class! Sorry: Busas aren't in there.

Last edited:
Back