Rocket III touring latch trouble

RocketRider666

Standard Bore
Ride
08 RocketIII touring
Help! Just purchased 2008 R3 touring with hard bags and I'm have a heck of. A time getting in had both open once, now latches will not release. Anybody got a tip or trick? They are unlocked and the bottom will depress til flat with top, but not opening. Help plz.

I have problems getting one of mine to latch, but never had a problem unlatching them? The gaskets move, sometimes, but I don't have any ideas, except make sure they are actually unlocked.

Try pressing down hard on the lid at the same time try to unlatch it.

Mine are 7 months old now and I only have the issue when I over fill them; I just have to push down harder on the top to unlatch them. You may also try some dry grafite to lube up the metal parts.

Thanks guys ,,, boy some times we over think, or in this case just did not think,, they were locked and I was wrong. Unlocked them and the work fine. Thanks again!

The lids do require a downward push on the lid while you depress the button to unlatch. I think the reason is easy...
Where are our bikes made? In the land where it rains almost every day! Much wetter in the UK than in most other places. I think they are designed this way to help try to make the bags water tight. Maybe somebody who has been
in serious rain with their R3T can confirm how they hold up in a good rain storm. If they closed easy, after some miles they would be loose and allow water to get past the seals. I just wish they were a little bigger.

Bone dry after three consecutive days of 8-hour riding in pouring Norwegian rain on my trip there the other year. I have no complaints about the quality of these panniers.

Agreed on the size though, they could have added an inch of width I think to make them bigger, or at least not had such gargantuan locking mechanisms on the inside. But with liners, they work decently especially if you load soft things (clothes) in the liners and manhandle them in there. I augment my carrying capacity with a Kuryakyn Grantour bag on the luggage rack. Easily enough for one guy, enough for two if you travel light.

Glad you got it sorted :thumbsup:, well at least you were able to blush with out us seeing you, mind I am sure you may have done a little more than blush but don't be hard on your self, bet there would be a few here myself included that after putting on all the gear only to realise you left the keys in you pocket so you have take of the gloves just to get your keys out of the bottom of your pocket :oops::oops:, the put them back on again and this of course only ever seems to happen when you are in a hurry to get going :rolleyes:

Back