Roadkill: look out for Bambi

Boog

Traveling Story Teller
Ride
2014 R3T, RAMAIR, Full Viking Dual exhaust
Not to steal any story about bird strikes, but I posted this earlier on the other site and wanted to share hear as well. I know most of us are well seasoned riders, but I did want to remind everyone (around North America at least) that the deer are moving out. This morning, within a mile of my house, I noticed three new deer carcasses lying by the road side with blood splatters on the tarmac. Seeing that my last get off was a result of meeting a fawn on a curve nearby, this bit of realization is particularly important to me. Practice your emergency procedures (at least in your head) each time you hit the road and try to remain relaxed yet alert as you venture out of your daily rides. And remember as I can attest, Bambi is not that shy little timid forest creature the movies lead us to believe. Verily I say not; Bambi is a highly trained, break-dancing, Ninja attack assassin. Beware...

yes Blog this the season for critters on the move.
In my neck of the woods its wild turkeys we need to on the watch for.

mime-attachment.jpg
And to add insult to injury,there's a new kid on the block..I hope he doesn't mistake my black Rocket for his mother..;)
mime-attachment.jpg

Last edited:
Catherine spotted a grey kangaroo up at Manjimup the other day , nearly 7 foot tall and solid. Lept over a 5 foot fence without even trying .. we got those things to contend with all year round in Austrailia.

Mate of mine almost hit a 200 kg wombat once. Car in front of him swerved to miss it. Car behind him not so lucky.

image.jpg

Near that by the sound of it .. biggest roo Catherine's ever seen she reckoned.

In my wicked past I like a lot of blokes from my generation used to go on Roo shoots for farmers to reduce the population of Roos on the properties , there was thousands of them and they competed with livestock for pasture and water, a big Red Kangaroo would weigh around 130kg with some big old fellers up to 150 kg, like wise the feral pigs but we used Pig Dogs to bring them out of the scrub then a .303 finished them off ,I'm not like that anymore, just go fishing off our magnificent beaches and in our pristine inland rivers.

Used to do a bit of pigging myself on properties out Thallon , St. George way .. many years ago now. Had great times running amok out there .. we're lucky to have survived some of those trips to be honest. We were all pretty wild back then.

Back