Reroute standard exhaust

If you want to keep the 2 pipes I'm not quite sure why you'd want to reroute through 1 and have the other as a dummy. Wouldn't it be easier just to get a set of Roadster TORS or Staintunes? Or get both sides modded. Maybe Nev (or someone else) can shed some light on whether there's any particular advantage of 3 into 1 v 3 into 2, other things being equal.

By the way, welcome from Canberra.
Good to have you join us. You obviously are looking to "improve" on stock; you'll find us both interested and helpful - and maybe even interesting. ;)
Canberra, I will try some input here. no matter what size exhaust you have the less bends in the pipe the less the exhaust gas flow slows down. every bend every Y split off slows the ability for the engine to exhale. Same for entranced whether FA or NA ist about how well and easy a motor can inhale and how well and easy it can exhale. slow one down and the engine ability to produce power is restricted. One other good thing about 3-1 is the abiltiy for a tuner with a O2/exhaust muti-spectrum gas anylizer to reach each cylinder header area seperately to forther tweak the engine in. Each cylinders abitlity to enhale and exhale along with how cool or hot it runs is different. thus individual tuning improves engine power and efficiency.
hope this helps
Nev of course can explain further and much better.

Thanks Warp. That all makes sense. I can see that 1 pipe is probably better than 2 if you optimise the flow of both but I guess what I was driving at was whether it is really worth carrying the weight of a dummy pipe. If I was wedded to 2 pipes it seemed more logical to use both. I keep thinking early Virago........... But that's me.

Glad we have different ideas about things to do to these great machines :)

Warp , are you saying that Carpenter style headers would flow better that the style that Reback are making ? The less bends the better , straighter headers exhale better ?

Warp , are you saying that Carpenter style headers would flow better that the style that Reback are making ? The less bends the better , straighter headers exhale better ?
Well when you look at both exhaust I would first point out that IMO some of the slight curves in the reband pipe are slight enough that I am not sur eif they would be called a bed, In other words I am not sur eif being so slight if it would slow down gas flow or not. Both pipes were desigend around different engine packages and different areas where the horse power and torque is applied. sure they both might have about the same HP and Torque as numbers go but are designed to make the power in different areas and for different applications. one is designe to build more of its power down lower where the other is for a higher rpm range. Neithe rone has been tuned and tested to see how it works in the other areas. So it would not be fair for me to speculate especially since I am by no means a expert. It could also be the Carpenter Pipe wa sbuilt to handle even more horse power like mine and the rebands were not because they were designed more for let me see if I can remember and come close to wha tnev said. His hp on this bike an d alot of the ones he ha sbeen working on wer ebuilt on the basis that the real high rpm area was not need on the highwoy or say normal operation/highway use. Where Bobs concern was a highe rpm range for racing. Looks to me like both have the ability to reach each cylinder to tune seperately.

On a whole I would have to say neither one is better then the others just better suited for to different applications. yet both still have a area they function well in Simultaneously. I thnik the real major difference in the apilcations is the cam timing events plus the porting.

I must plead guilty of not knowing all speciffic applications that were considered on either design.

Hi all and thanks for all the input,
I decided to have just the right muffler modded at Redline exhausts in Adelaide and made a branch(excuse the cocky ****, new inverter well that's my excuse anyway) from the header outlet to it and jettisoned the left muffler and crossover pipe.
I downloaded a tune for after market exhausts with Tune ECU and the results are great, sounds awesome, good smooth power all the way through and no exhaust popping.

Attachments

• WP_000230.jpg
    WP_000230.jpg
    338.6 KB · Views: 131
  • WP_000232.jpg
    WP_000232.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 136
  • WP_000231.jpg
    WP_000231.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 117
I have a header that replaces the catalyctic converter . I ran that for the first 8 years. It was great ,very loud though. You are quite welcome to it if it helps.
cheers ScratchyDave

Thanks Sratchy, the only cat in mine is in the muffler, in fact not much else but the cat.

Cheers Chuckster

Thanks Sratchy, the only cat in mine is in the muffler, in fact not much else but the cat.

Cheers Chuckster

Chuckster since you want the single side look, if you put a Carpenter Megaphone on her you can tune her in the 170's for Horse Power. You'll need some better filter set up on her Duncan did a real nice Pipercross set up on his.

Back