Reliability, buying decision

THIS IS ABOUT THE TOURING, AS YOU ASKED ABOUT THE R3T IN THE TOURING FORUM.

I agree with Daryl. Please use the search function and see the threads on the reliability issues, and worse, Triumph's failure to stand up and be responsible for their products.

I'm approaching 40K miles on my bike and it's been in the shop 6 times for warranty repairs (these visits do NOT include the routine maintenance).

No, I cannot recommend the R3T.:mad:

My 2005 std HAS 57000 trouble free miles this has been by far the most reliable bike I have ever owned.
My ignition switch started to act up when the bike was three years out of warranty so what did Triumph do they stood behind the bike they sent me a new switch, seat lock and new gas cap FREE OF CHARGE.
Triumph is one of the best companies in the motorbike world my old Honda VTX had a few problems and what help did I get from Honda SFA I would not piss on a honda if it was on fire.

Run, don't walk away from the Rocket in any form. Triumph didn't back their product with me to the tune of $3600 and almost half a year (21 weeks) in the shop with less than 2,000 miles on a new bike.

Cannot say enough bad about Triumphs customer service and after the sale support, especially from corporate....BUYER BEWARE!!!

I'm afraid I'd agree.

It's not if, it's WHEN, you will have a problem.

And Triumph will not support you.:mad:

Like Dave below, my 2005 (July 2004) has 64000 trouble free miles. I've had a TPS issue, but have the 'upgraded' TPS now. Quality of dealer support is pretty random, and that is the biggest problem with Triumph. The tech at my local dealer is pretty much incompetent (well documented from this past year on this site), so from now on I will take it to Austin if I have any problem I can't resolve. It is running great now and I wish I had time to jump on it and head to some random place across the country instead of back and forth to work!.. lol Right now I have plans for another trip with it to Sturgis in 2013!

I know this is about the R3T, but the parts that count for reliabilty in all R3's are basically the same except for tires..

My 2005 std HAS 57000 trouble free miles this has been by far the most reliable bike I have ever owned.
My ignition switch started to act up when the bike was three years out of warranty so what did Triumph do they stood behind the bike they sent me a new switch, seat lock and new gas cap FREE OF CHARGE.
Triumph is one of the best companies in the motorbike world my old Honda VTX had a few problems and what help did I get from Honda SFA I would not piss on a honda if it was on fire.

Triumph will stand behind you I blame the dealerships for a lot of the guys problems, my local dealer D&D cycles in Pensacola FL goes above and beyond the call of duty to help his customers.
If I felt how some on this forum feel about Triumph I would dump the brand right away but the only person that I can think of who walked the walk is big JDuke.
JD are you and Amanda planning on riding to MV this May?

I know this is about the R3T, but the parts that count for reliabilty in all R3's are basically the same except for tires..

The OP's question was about the R3T.:confused: There are numerous documented issues about that bike. Triumph is well aware of the problems with the TOURING model yet refuses to step up.:mad:

I am commenting on personal, documented experiences with the R3T -- the bike I own. That model has serious problems that are not being addressed by Triumph.

Maybe the OP will buy another model, based on the positive input from the other owners' comments, but I cannot recommend the R3T.

And, if you've ever seen an R3T in person, you'll see that "the parts that count for reliabilty in all R3's are basically the same except for tires." Not at all.

And therein lies the rub.:(

Buy a Beemer or Goldwing. Triumph ain't for everyone.

The corporate folks are less than helpful to put it mildly but I see what the other dealers charge for "maintenance items" and thats not for me either and I'm talkin about the Hundred Dollar crowd.

I own what I believe is the first R3T sold in the Phoenix area. I have approximately 24,000 miles on the bike.

The problems I've encountered are:

Bridgestone Tire recall (not Triumph's problem).

Broken throttle cable retaining slot on heated grips. I believe this is a design problem as I've heard of several other instances of this happening. I have not reinstalled the warrantied part.

Two weeks ago one of my auxiliary lights stopped working. I've been running higher wattage bulbs for two years and am not surprised by the failure. My fault, not Triumph's.

That's it.

I have encountered another one this week. My dealer put my oil plug in too tight. Extractors are too long to drill it out so I am faced with removing the pan or sending it back to my dealer where it could be messed up again.

I have not encountered anything major but this pittly stuff is most annoying. It was a detent spring last year and the bike waited for 3-4 weeks for another one.

I have encountered another one this week. My dealer put my oil plug in too tight. Extractors are too long to drill it out so I am faced with removing the pan or sending it back to my dealer where it could be messed up again.

I have not encountered anything major but this pittly stuff is most annoying. It was a detent spring last year and the bike waited for 3-4 weeks for another one.

Which dealer are you using? I'm on business in KY and stopped by the dealers in Louisville and Lexington. They both have 2011 R3Ts. I'm still in the matket for a white and Black R3T......... Just saying.

Back