Reliability, buying decision

Discussion in 'Rocket III Touring Forum' started by ahpd1992, Feb 14, 2012.

1. ahpd1992

ahpd1992 Standard Bore

After attending the IMS in Rosemomt,Il this weekend the wife told me that the r3t looked the best and fit me the best of all the bikes I sat on. She has given me her blessing to purchase one. I have a few questions about the bike mainly having to do with reliability.

I owned an 08 r3t that I bought used, I liked it but the clutch fried out/failed right away to the tune of an $800 replacement that Triumph refused to cover because I was the 2nd owner of the bike (i did not abuse the bike and had only had it for 300 miles)

After that issue I was looking forward to better times with the bike. Unfortunately I crashed and totaled the bike on my first road trip and the insurance settlement wasnt enough ro buy another r3t. I never did get to find out the long term reliability of this bike so before I decide to go shopping let me here from you all on your experiences with your r3t
  2. RKTBOB

RKTBOB .020 Over

Buy Another???

I have an 08 R3T purchased in August of 08...35,254 miles..ready for 4th set of tires..no problems ...regular maintenance(5000 mile oil changes,not 10000 as recomended).Would buy another if I wear this one out!
    dirtbagbiker, motolink and RKTNMYPKT like this.
  3. TRIIICK

TRIIICK Supercharged

United States
    Rides:
    01 RKC 05 Rocket 08 Busa
    I have a 2005 with 65K.. the only problem i had was the idle recall and replacing tires every 10-11 K miles.Other than general maintainence she's run like a top. No modification what soever.

Attached Files:

datona paul likes this.
  4. ahpd1992

ahpd1992 Standard Bore

Also does the memphis shades batwing fairing fit this bike?

I see Corbin makes one, but wow $$!

Any other fairings fit this bike?

Tom
  5. RKTNMYPKT

RKTNMYPKT Village Idiot

United States
    Rides:
    2014 Roadster ( the one with the red stripes, the fastest one)
    I've got an 08 R3T 20K on it with zero problems with the bike to date, I would buy another without hesitation.
    datona paul likes this.
  6. RocketDaryl

RocketDaryl .040 Over

Hate to be the killjoy, but my issues (numerous) are well documented. Search my posts in the '09 time frame. One issue after another that started from day one. In addition, it was a very uncomfortable bike for me. Unfortunately, that didn't manifest until after I bought it. I test rode one, but the test ride was about 10 miles or so. Neck and shoulder pain started at about the 50 mile mark.

All that said, I've never had a serious issue with any of the other Triumphs I've owned (Speedmaster, Thunderbird and Tiger 1050). Thus, if not for the comfort issues, I might could be persuaded to buy another Rocket on the premise that perhaps mine was just a lemon.
    dandiego likes this.
  7. dandiego

dandiego .060 Over

United States
    THIS IS ABOUT THE TOURING, AS YOU ASKED ABOUT THE R3T IN THE TOURING FORUM.

I agree with Daryl. Please use the search function and see the threads on the reliability issues, and worse, Triumph's failure to stand up and be responsible for their products.

I'm approaching 40K miles on my bike and it's been in the shop 6 times for warranty repairs (these visits do NOT include the routine maintenance).

No, I cannot recommend the R3T.:mad:
  8. BIKER

BIKER .020 Over

United States
    love my RT3 great bike...as for the fairings here is a cheaper one Hoppe Industries

ED:cool:
  9. GPMAZ

GPMAZ Super Moderator Staff Member

United States
    Rides:
    2008 R3T
    Seems to be a bit of a crap shoot. I'm close to 25K miles, most with significantly more power than delivered, and virtually no problems.
  10. Elvis

Elvis .020 Over

United States
    I have an 08 R3T and like the others I suffered the tire recall and now run a darkside on the back. The only issues I have had was a $12 relay, and detent spring which kept me down 4 weeks, and now the oil plug which the dealer put in to tight.

My bike has 19,000+ miles on it.

I would consider another one if the dealer was closer but since they aren't I will probably look for a leftover stratoliner next or consider a Victory Hardball or Cross Country Tour.