Rekoving Tank Protector

Loonitick

Supercharged
Ride
2010 Roadster
The previous owner of my R3R fitted both knee pads and one of these stick-on plastic tank protectors. The knee pads I can live with, although with the width of the R3 I don't really see the point of them, but the tank pad is hideous and needs to be gone. None of the bikes I have had previously have had pads fitted, so I have never had to remove any. I have a fair idea how to get the tank pad off (gentle heat and carefully peel off,) but with the thickness of the knee pads and especially the matte paint I am less sure. Admittedly l intend to get some paint work done at some point, but I would still like to avoid doing any damage to the paint.

Anyone removed tank/knee guards from matte paint that can give some advice?

Loonitick, depending on the strength of the adhesive you probably wont have an issue with peeling the paint. You will have some adhesive behind. There are a few adhesive removers on the market that everyone should have in their garage. You can purchase most of them from an Auto Parts store or a hardware store. SEM makes an aerosol and a quart. 38271 for the quart and 38371 for the aerosol. 3M also makes one 08984 quart or 08987 aerosol. Use some of the cleaner to soften the adhesive and then use a piece of thin fishing line under the pad, like you would do when flossing your teeth, go back and forth slowly while pulling up or down as you release the pad from the tank. Then use the cleaner to wipe away the remaining glue. Try not to rub too much as rubbing a matte finish can sometimes create a semi gloss appearance. I have used this method successfully a few dozen times without the use of heat. I am not a fan of using heat on a nice paint finish. Good Luck, Rick

Yeah, not so much peeling of paint I am worried about than damaging it with the wrong solvent. Never had a bike with matte paint before:eek: Kind of paranoid of leaving ugly marks

Yeah, not so much peeling of paint I am worried about than damaging it with the wrong solvent. Never had a bike with matte paint before:eek: Kind of paranoid of leaving ugly marks
The SEM or the 3M will work fine. They are mild solvents for cleaning adhesives. I use both all the time. I am in the paint business and those are the two most common to use.

Ah, cool. I am a mechanic by trade, so anything mechanical or electrical is fine, but bodywork I have no idea about.

Will see if I can find anywhere nearby selling one of those solvents. Thanks!

The previous owner of my R3R fitted both knee pads and one of these stick-on plastic tank protectors. The knee pads I can live with, although with the width of the R3 I don't really see the point of them, but the tank pad is hideous and needs to be gone. None of the bikes I have had previously have had pads fitted, so I have never had to remove any. I have a fair idea how to get the tank pad off (gentle heat and carefully peel off,) but with the thickness of the knee pads and especially the matte paint I am less sure. Admittedly l intend to get some paint work done at some point, but I would still like to avoid doing any damage to the paint.

Anyone removed tank/knee guards from matte paint that can give some advice?

The SEM or the 3M will work fine. They are mild solvents for cleaning adhesives. I use both all the time. I am in the paint business and those are the two most common to use.

Trying to remove the unsightly "safety" sticker on the tank and concerned about using anything that would damage the matte paint as well. Before, I'd use a blow drier and heat up the glue from the sticker on a gloss tank and just buff out the remaining glue, but I am unsure if this would be ok to do on the matte. Any suggestions on removing the sticker(s) on the tank/other locations?

You can use some fishing line and saw it off. Just get a good amount to wrap around both hands and start under the pad. This will not harm the paint underneath. I've removed automotive emblems doing this and it doesn't hurt the paint. However it you heat the pad up with a heat gun and slowiy peel it off will work as well. I have removed my pad and reinstalled it before so I know the glue isn't that strong of a adhesive.

You can use some fishing line and saw it off. Just get a good amount to wrap around both hands and start under the pad. This will not harm the paint underneath. I've removed automotive emblems doing this and it doesn't hurt the paint. However it you heat the pad up with a heat gun and slowiy peel it off will work as well. I have removed my pad and reinstalled it before so I know the glue isn't that strong of a adhesive.

Will definitely try the fishing line. I'll head to the shed tomorrow morning see if I've got some lying around. The blow dryer will be the backup plan.

Trying to remove the unsightly "safety" sticker on the tank and concerned about using anything that would damage the matte paint as well. Before, I'd use a blow drier and heat up the glue from the sticker on a gloss tank and just buff out the remaining glue, but I am unsure if this would be ok to do on the matte. Any suggestions on removing the sticker(s) on the tank/other locations?

Try boiling water .. may just work , certainly won't damage the paintwork .. used it to get all the stickers off our car.

Will definitely try the fishing line. I'll head to the shed tomorrow morning see if I've got some lying around. The blow dryer will be the backup plan.

I would heat the pad up before using the fishing line just to get everything up in temperature some. The hotter it gets the easier its going to come off.

Back