rear wheel removal and re installation

albertaduke

former airline pilot without the big bucks
Ride
2021 rocket3 GT
I am baffled I removed the rear wheel for a tire change and I tried ( lord knows I tried) to re install the rear wheel (2006 standard) so here is how I tried
I put the wheel in the drive ..all the way (used a jack to line it up) I can hear the teeth turning in the final drive meaning the wheel is all the way in the drive I drove the spline into the wheel up to the spacer put the spacer and drove the spline flush with the spacer now NORMALLY the rear brake mount should slide between the swingarm and the spacer well it does not 4 mm seem to be in the way that seems too much to be normal and I cannot force the swingarm open that much , I removed the wheel put it back several times still no luck the spacer is 29.48mm long it is the right size so where is the problem I sure cannot think of anything and I cannot put back the rear brake mount back on it will not slide between the spacer and the swingarm
I am thinking I don't need no stinking rear brake but that is another story

When you place the rear wheel back on its splines it should sit there quite happily. If it doesn't then it means that it isn't on correctly. It is easier to put on if the bike is in first gear as you can wiggle the wheel as it slides in. Once it is on the splines then you feed the axle bolt in from the LHS. You will have to line the spacer and the brakes up and jiggle the wheel a bit as you then feed the axle through those bits and eventually through the swingarm. It is tight, but it will fit.

When you put the bolt that stops the brake callipers from flying around the axle back in, MAKE SURE THAT IT GOES THROUGH THE HOLE THAT IT IS SUPPOSED TO GO THROUGH ON THE SWING ARM!!! A couple of bikes at a recent get together had them wrong - and the work was done by a dealer!!!

While the wheel is off, did you remove the final drive unit (diff) and grease the splines? That should be done on every tyre change, and more often if you run on the Dark Side.

That's a good video. If you don't spread the pads some, it is a pain to try to get the caliper on, over the spacer.

Not sure if this will help but thought I would throw it out there....

yes I have seen it before and I basically did everything like him except when he slides the brake mount it fit between the spacer and the swingarm mine does not .somehow the gap is 3 to 4 mm narrower now and I cannot slide the brake mount . as I did not disturb the clips and bushing inside the wheel axle and since the wheel is aligned proper I am truly baffled ,,

When you place the rear wheel back on its splines it should sit there quite happily. If it doesn't then it means that it isn't on correctly. It is easier to put on if the bike is in first gear as you can wiggle the wheel as it slides in. Once it is on the splines then you feed the axle bolt in from the LHS. You will have to line the spacer and the brakes up and jiggle the wheel a bit as you then feed the axle through those bits and eventually through the swingarm. It is tight, but it will fit.

When you put the bolt that stops the brake callipers from flying around the axle back in, MAKE SURE THAT IT GOES THROUGH THE HOLE THAT IT IS SUPPOSED TO GO THROUGH ON THE SWING ARM!!! A couple of bikes at a recent get together had them wrong - and the work was done by a dealer!!!

While the wheel is off, did you remove the final drive unit (diff) and grease the splines? That should be done on every tyre change, and more often if you run on the Dark Side.

done that 10 times today with no luck the gap between spacer and swingarm is 3 to 4 mm narrower than the brake mount boss and so will not slide in between spacer and swingarm

done that 10 times today with no luck the gap between spacer and swingarm is 3 to 4 mm narrower than the brake mount boss and so will not slide in between spacer and swingarm
I don't think your wheel has completely seated into the drive yet. Watch this one at about the 5:30 mark and see if it jogs your memory any on when you disassembled it. I wish I was there to help you, bro. Did you put it in gear and try turning the wheel back and forth?

I don't think your wheel has completely seated into the drive yet. Watch this one at about the 5:30 mark and see if it jogs your memory any on when you disassembled it. I wish I was there to help you, bro. Did you put it in gear and try turning the wheel back and forth?

I saw the spacer being further in the wheel but it is a tourer wheel not a 240 tomorrow I take the wheel off again put it on the bench and look inside the axle to see it any of the bushing or circlips have somehow moved and repositioning it.
the wheel was seated on perfectly butI went so far as going to the dealer in town and measure the distance on the drive side between the lip of the wheel and the drive cover and it is the same
I do not think there is anything to do short of shaving 2mm of the brake mount boss at the bottom where it slide between the spacer and the swingarm

I hope you're no seriously contemplating shaving anything off. I'm not sure it even matters, but is the spacer the right way round?

Back