rear sub frame question

Poseidon

.020 Over
Ride
Triumph Rocket X
I am looking to turn my rocket into a bobber and want to get rid of the rear fender entirely leaving just the single seat.
I will be wanting to cut off the rear sub frame just behind the rear shocks, has anyone done this?
Will it weaken the frame? it has a bar that runs between the rear shocks which seams to be where the strength comes from, i can't see that it would weaken the frame but welcome your thoughts.

Find attached a couple of pictures to show you what i mean

Attachments

• IMG_1627.jpg
    IMG_1627.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1632.jpg
    IMG_1632.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 5
Should be interesting looking when your done, Poseidon, but take heed to keep your or anyone else's ponytail away from that rear tire or else! And so much for the added collector's value of owning an "X" model, I'd guess?

Every bike we have owned has been modified. From a 78 Honda 750 to a 2010 Fatboy and everything in between. The ROCKET X number 74 stays stock. Not so much for resale value but just the fact that it is a limited edition. We payed a lot of extra money and time just so I could actually own one of them. Yes I can understand wishing to modify a motorcycle to make it personal but if that was the plan I would have saved the money and time and just bought a regular Roadster. As is what do you plan to do with the back fender? Is it for sale?

Every bike we have owned has been modified. From a 78 Honda 750 to a 2010 Fatboy and everything in between. The ROCKET X number 74 stays stock. Not so much for resale value but just the fact that it is a limited edition. We payed a lot of extra money and time just so I could actually own one of them. Yes I can understand wishing to modify a motorcycle to make it personal but if that was the plan I would have saved the money and time and just bought a regular Roadster. As is what do you plan to do with the back fender? Is it for sale?

I have a regular roadster rear mudguard seating in the garage thought of bobbing it but decided not to bother anymore interested?

Irreversible and probably leaving the bike unable to be road legal. Pretty silly doing it to an ordinary bike but using a limited edition defies logic.

I'm reminded of that old saying about a certain type of person and his money being soon parted..........

I wouldn't do it myself, but I can't see why it shouldn't be road legal. It' been done before. TriumphMR3_zps4ecc6da9.jpg Minha_moto_locura_019.JPG

So it's legal in his State? That's OK then. :rolleyes:
Over here, hacking into the frame would prevent the bike being able to be registered. At least one of those bikes pictured is in South America. I can't see a licence plate on the other one so I have no idea if it's a road bike. Hey, it's up to him what he does with the thing but he asked for advice and will also get opinions. I'd sure check before cutting into the frame.

Back