Rear Shock Life Expendency

Micksan

Supercharged
Ride
2023 Triumph R3 GT, 2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT,
i have a set of progressive 430s installed. I weigh in at 250 lbs. Does anyone have any idea of how many miles I can expect to get out of them, on the average. I live in Oklahoma, although the roads are not the best , they are a lot better than some places I have seen.

The 430s are the best Progressive makes! Love them! I have 12,000 miles on mine and they are working perfectly.
Do you have the heavy duty version? (stronger springs) Progressive recommends them for riders over 200 lbs.

Last edited:
The 430s are the best Progressive makes! Love them! I have 12,000 miles on mine and they are working perfectly.
Do you have the heavy duty version? (stronger springs) Progressive recommends them for riders over 200 lbs.
I am not sure about the springs. Installed , but screwed up and did not log them into my record book. To be honest I am thinking that they needed adjustment more than anything else. I set the sag when I purchased them. Wife has ridden with me. Last night with her on we were bottoming out , with small bumps. They have a bit over 15K miles on them. I added two turns on to them this morning .

I sure hope you are mistaken about that "best Progressive makes", zenbiker.
Progressive told me the 444s were the best they had for the Triumph Rocket.
I have purchased and installed a set of 444 HDs; but, shall not be able to ride for a couple more weeks to evaluate them against my previous Hagons.

It seems that for every person who's happy with the expensive shocks they've shelled out for, there's at least one who's not happy at all. Don't know if it's because expectations are unrealistically high or the shocks really are bad. Apart from a 2/2 thumbs up for ubber expensive Wilbers, there doesn't seem to be anything that is universally loved. Maybe, just maybe, Triumph didn't do too bad a job in the first place. I have no complaints at all with the Roadster shocks. A bit harsh over big bumps but I expect that on such a heavy machine that I also want to handle well. Just sayin'.

It seems that for every person who's happy with the expensive shocks they've shelled out for, there's at least one who's not happy at all. Don't know if it's because expectations are unrealistically high or the shocks really are bad. Apart from a 2/2 thumbs up for ubber expensive Wilbers, there doesn't seem to be anything that is universally loved. Maybe, just maybe, Triumph didn't do too bad a job in the first place. I have no complaints at all with the Roadster shocks. A bit harsh over big bumps but I expect that on such a heavy machine that I also want to handle well. Just sayin'.

Mate, please allow me to set you straight. (That rhymes, don't it? heh heh heh)
The stock Roadster shocks SUCK - BIG, period. Most all OEM shocks suck because the manufacturers can cut costs here.
The only exception I can think of is perhaps a rider of less than 150 pounds (68kg) that rides easy.
I like the Hagons! They are fine upper level shocks. My need to go taller for increased lean angle is the only reason I replaced them.
I read some good stuff about these new Progressive 444s with on the fly adjustable damping and spring rate, so I decided to give them a try.
If they suck (and I don't expect they shall) I'd go back to some taller Hagons.
IMHO - suspension is the #1 improvement needed on a stock motor to improve performance.
Best Regards,
1olbull

JMTC.. When i went to the darkside i bought the 440's 13 inch and loved them they are a pretty decent shock for $400. That was seven years ago. If you have money to burn and want the best Ohlins,Wilber and Traxxion front end rebuild.

Last edited:
JMTC.. When i went to the darkside i bought the 440's 13 inch and loved them they are a pretty decent shock for $400. That was seven years ago. If you have money to burn and want the best Ohlins,Wilber and Traxxion front end rebuild.

Based upon performance on two motors, I don't agree regarding the Ohlins. Never used Wilber; but, many folks around here say they are great.
I do intend to have the front forks rebuilt in similar fashion to what Traxxion does (thanks for the video) by a company here in Washington called KFG Racing.

Mate, please allow me to set you straight. (That rhymes, don't it? heh heh heh)
The stock Roadster shocks SUCK - BIG, period. Most all OEM shocks suck because the manufacturers can cut costs here.
The only exception I can think of is perhaps a rider of less than 150 pounds (68kg) that rides easy.
I like the Hagons! They are fine upper level shocks. My need to go taller for increased lean angle is the only reason I replaced them.
I read some good stuff about these new Progressive 444s with on the fly adjustable damping and spring rate, so I decided to give them a try.
If they suck (and I don't expect they shall) I'd go back to some taller Hagons.
IMHO - suspension is the #1 improvement needed on a stock motor to improve performance.
Best Regards,
1olbull

That's right; not everyone is going to like (or dislike) the same thing. I know a few who have tried Hagons and hated them. Same with various Progressives. Same with OEM. Others are more than happy. Trouble is you won't know if they suit you (and how and where you ride) until after you've shelled out and bought them. A dash round the block on someone elses bike or a recommendation isn't going to tell you how YOU are going to like them. All I've ever said about Roadster shocks is that they're a marked improvement over the OEM shocks on my '09 Standard that had over 50,000km on them. I am happy with them though. I've never said they're perfect or the best but I wouldn't say they SUCK either. Maybe it's a case that I've actually mastered riding this bike and enjoy the challenge of taming the beast. BTW, I'm a bit of a lightweight I suppose - a bit heavier than 68kg altho not by a lot (80kg actually, +/- 2kg) but I don't think you could accuse me of riding easy.

Last edited:
Back