Rear rotation noise

IAMKD2

.020 Over
Couldn't find any discussion for my problem on this site. Have an '08 Classic.
Clicking noise in rear when warmed up and bike is moving, slows down when stopping. Noise is there whether running or not, in gear or not and going backwards. Strange thing is I cant get it to make the noise when the back wheel is off the ground on my jack. Not the paint can rattle since I listened to that problem on you tube. Not a brake problem. The dealer is perplexed and wants to take the back end apart to try to find the problem. There is no decrease in performance. Any ideas? Thanks, Paul

Last edited:
Couldn't find any discussion for my problem on this site.
Clicking noise in rear when warmed up and bike is moving, slows down when stopping. Noise is there whether running or not, in gear or not and going backwards. Strange thing is I cant get it to make the noise when the back wheel is off the ground on my jack. Not the paint can rattle since I listened to that problem on you tube. Not a brake problem. The dealer is perplexed and wants to take the back end apart to try to find the problem. There is no decrease in performance. Any ideas? Thanks, Paul

It could be something as simple as a loose item between the rear fender and the tire. Check for a loose object between the two. At worst, maybe a drive shaft component. Haven't had one apart, but you may have a universal joint/or something equivalent going bad. Not much more to offer from this end.

Check the tyre as well. It could be a stone of screw in the tyre, or a section of tread stating to lift.

When I first got mine it had an odd sound coming from the rear wheel area. Kind of a metal on metal sound. More noticeable at walking speed. Turned out to be a warped rotor rubbing on the caliper once per revolution.

@Rocket Scientist i was afraid someone was going to say that. I've always had that noise on mine and could never find anything that would cause it. Doesn't happen when pushing forward only backward. However, the slightly warped rotor would also explain me being on my third set of rear pads. I just figured it was because I glided them through tight twisties :( now I'm gonna have work to do when my beast gets stateside.

HOW many miles on it?
Has 43,200 miles on it. Two mechanics at the dealer couldn't find anything loose or problem with the rear brake. Rolling foward sounds like small nails in the hub and a click. rolling backwards there is just one loud click each turn of the wheel. I'm thinking its a shaft problem. Both tires are new.

Last edited:
Has 43,200 miles on it. Two mechanics at the dealer couldn't find anything loose or problem with the rear brake. Rolling foward sounds like small nails in the hub and a click. rolling backwards there is just one loud click each turn of the wheel. I'm thinking its a shaft problem. Both tires are new.

UPDATE: It was a bad rear bearing. Beats $2700 for a new final drive unit.
Thanks to those that posted a link to Biker Bandit... $573.

UPDATE: It was a bad rear bearing. Beats $2700 for a new final drive unit.
Thanks to those that posted a link to Biker Bandit... $573.

Didn't you say hat you felt and heard no noise rotating the rear wheel when jacked up?
How was this determined?

Back