Rear Fender Cutdown

Discussion in 'Custom Mods' started by R34ME, Jan 12, 2007.

1. R34ME

R34ME Standard Bore

New Zealand
    Featured Threads:
    Due to poor weather over the last couple of days I decided to remove the rear fender from the Rocket, My Corbin Rumble seat arrived last week and probably a good thing it did as once it was sitting on the bike I realised my original thoughts regarding the fender chop may have to be revised. I was going to go for the straight cut and fit LED light, but after thinking about rear lights and LED not being DOT approved it would have meant swapping things back to standard for the bikes annual Warrant of Fittness, same as an MOT check, and as I dont have a replacement fender yet this could have proved as hassle. So I decided to keep the original tail light, I cut the original fender about 25 mm above the exixting tail light then trimmed the lower 25 mm from the bottom of the piece I had cut off, took it all to work this morning and welded the small bottom piece back on, made a template up for the tailight hole and cut that out, I drilled all the welds from the back of the tail light support, a simple job to now re weld it onto the back of the modyfied fender so the tail light can be secured, I cut and shortened the feder support frame, and rewelded it back together, have pics of all the good bits if you want to see them, I reshaped the corners of the fender from my first cut to bring the line in better and drilled hole's for the mini indicators I am gonna use, purchased a licence plate mount for the left side from newbonneville.com , Slipped the rear end back together, today all painted up and shinny, see that 240 tyre ??? I am happy with the result, just got to hook up the licence plate holder onto the left shock and wire up the led to comply with the law and she's all done, stock seat on at the moment , look's pretty cool with the Corbin on too. Oh yea!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2007
  2. PianoMan

PianoMan .020 Over

Featured Threads:
    Nice Work

Looks great and I've always like the rear tire exposed more like your set up. I think Pig9r also used the mini turn signals. They light up much better than I thought they would. You know, you always want people to be able to see you signal and stop.

3. R34ME

R34ME Standard Bore

New Zealand
    Featured Threads:
    I was amazed when i flicked the indicators on in the garage they are very bright.

4. Toystoretom

Toystoretom Turbocharged

Featured Threads:
    That looks great!!! It really makes that back tire look awesome, doesn't it??

5. Paul Hyland

Paul Hyland .060 Over

United States
    Featured Threads:
    Me to

I love it. It looks mean from the back with that 240 out in the open, and I really like the minni's

6. Pig9r

Pig9r Turbocharged

Featured Threads:
    Albums:
    Another vote of approval. Looks great, like a real street fighter. Please post some pics of the "deconstruction" process. Thanks for sharing.

7. Hondax

Hondax Moderator

Featured Threads:
    Body:West Central Missouri, Mind: Yes I are.
    Looks real sharp and clean.

Now let's tackle the garage for the misses,.......:D

8. raymond braswell

raymond braswell .020 Over

Featured Threads:
    Looks like it is still warm where you are. Forget the garage and ride that awsome mother!

9. R34ME

R34ME Standard Bore

New Zealand
    Featured Threads:
    Welded in housing for rear light, here's the support frame before the chop, and you can see the lower part of the fender I cut off.

[​IMG]

cleaning it up ready for some finishing compound, we call it bog.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. raymond braswell

raymond braswell .020 Over

Featured Threads:
    This is fantastic! Thanks for the pics. Absolutly a must do project. Snowing, sleeting mess here in the Midwest, might as well chop on the bike.