Realtime GPS tracking for your bike

Boog

Traveling Story Teller
Ride
2014 R3T, RAMAIR, Full Viking Dual exhaust
I was asked to start a thread on GPS tracking devices that you can use for your bikes. While there are many you can research online, I have the most experience with Sendum. http://sendum.com/When you go to this website, you have a couple of options. To be creative, one can remove the unit from the case it comes in and insert the guts (circuit board and antennas) into something else such as on a car with a powered side mirror, tap into the car's power source and house the unit here or if the rear view mirror has power, one can attach the Sendum inside of it using its power source.

On motorcycles that have tail lights that disassemble (unlike our Rockets) place it inside the lens and tap into the hot wire. A good place on our bike to hide the Sendum is amongst the mess of wires amid the center area; just make sure it doesn’t get wet. Less hidden is anywhere under the seat but one can disguise it to look like a Power Commander.

The bottom line is, look around for areas that are not often looked at and find a wire to tap into that is constant hot so you do not need to use the unit’s battery. Because the Sendum uses cellular technology, it works from areas inside other structures like a garage. The GPS may not be able to get a fix, but it will track all the way up to the point it goes inside a building but it will still transmit.

The software that tracks the Sendum can keep track of everywhere the device goes and can be programmed to send info at intervals of your choice. The beauty of this system verses something like Lo Jack is you control the map.

If you are not so good with the soldering iron, keep the device intact and find a hiding spot somewhere that is not easily seen by the thieves. If you cannot tap into a hot lead, then make sure you keep fresh batteries in the unit.

NOTE: If you tap into a wire that is only hot when the ignition is on, then it will only transmit in that state so make sure you have a wire that is always hot if you want to ensure the device is operational 24/7.

I have tracked Sendums across and outside of the US. As long as a cellular signal is available, you can find the transmitting unit. If you are giving your information to the police to find it, they will need the IMEI, SN, phone number and carrier. They will be able to locate the device even if the GPS does not currently have a fix.

Another cool unit is made by NAL research here in Manassas, VA. It uses the iridium 9602 modem and is quite rugged. It also has a GSM modem thus it is dual egress; both cellular and iridium. http://www.nalresearch.com/IridiumHardware.html

I track these devices anywhere on earth from north to south poles. They work but cost a little more each month.

If anyone uses other devices like Spot with great success, please add you info and experiences here so we all can benefit from your knowledge.

I hope this helps.

Thanks @Vanguard, I had not seen this Spot unit yet. It should really be a good safeguard. A couple of my workmates have carried Spot products with them as their personal locator beacons (PLB) in the past and I know that Throttle Girl (find her of FB) uses a Spot when she rides around the US. She hit a deer in Colorado two years ago in the Hoka Hey challenge and everyone was able to see her track all the way across the western states to the point where she stopped and called for help.
The PLB I carry is the ACR-375. This is NOT for tracking use though; it is an EMERGENCY call for help anywhere on earth above ground. http://www.acrartex.com/products/catalog/personal-locator-beacons/resqlink-plb/#sthash.NPD6M8mg.dpbs. So, not for use as a safeguard against thieves but if you go down outside of cell range and are alone, help will come if you use this.

I use the SPOT on all my snowmobile trips.

I have used it in Michigan, Ontario, and Quebec and never had a coverage issue.

I have also used it on motorcycle trips, very good product.

I cannot get my new Spot (3rd Gen) to update its firmware and understand many others are having problems with this???

Correction!
The software has been improved and now works.
All is well once again.

Last edited:
I cannot get my new Spot (3rd Gen) to update its firmware and understand many others are having problems with this???

Correction!
The software has been improved and now works.
All is well once again.

Switched from my Spot 2 to the new Spot Gen 3 before my last snowmobile trip. Better battery life. No issues updating the firmware, but since I use my cell phone as a hotspot for my laprop out here in the sticks, I went to the library and used their WiFi.

My issue is they do not have an armband holder like I have with the 2. Used the one for the 2, but you can not access all buttons easily.

Sent SPOT my suggestion to get one out soon.

My issue is they do not have an armband holder like I have with the 2. Used the one for the 2, but you can not access all buttons easily.
Sent SPOT my suggestion to get one out soon.

I do prefer the Gen 3 mostly for not having to always remember to turn it off.
The ONLY reason I use it is for the wife unit's peace of mind!

Last edited:
@Boog when I go on that site, it does not appear to be particularly consumer or end-user-oriented.

How does one obtain their unit, and of the ones they offer, to which one are you referring ?

I like this idea.

@Boog when I go on that site, it does not appear to be particularly consumer or end-user-oriented.

How does one obtain their unit, and of the ones they offer, to which one are you referring ?

I like this idea.

Are you asking about the Sendums, NAL devcie or the ACR PLBs?

Back