Jim/Maine

Supercharged
Any thoughts?

Bike is basically stock except for under tank air filter. I had recently changed plugs but it ran very well after for apex. 500 miles. Checked the low tension coil wires and tightened. Bike has 30,000 miles on it.

Running rough, annoying vibration (feet, hands) and acceleration is a bit uneven. Oil seams hotter than usual as noticed by tough on the oil fill cover and there is a very small amount of oil which seems to be coming back from the cover.

Only other variable is that the exhaust seems to be a bit louder.

I have the plug in cord but no PC yet compatible.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Check your low tension leads on the coils...they have an annoying habit of coming loose which would account for the rough running and vibration

Been in any high water or heavy rain lately? Crank position sensor is low on the back of the motor...maybe it got water logged? Only other suggestion would maybe be throttle position sensor

at 30,000 has anyone opened her up lately to check and run the valves? If not then I suspect you will need to look into the ecu to check and make sure your sensors are in sync (ISCV) plus be able to look at the the balance between the throttle bodies. Your probably close to need a fuel filter depending on whether it has been changed or not. As Morris stated above you can definitely do the crank sensor cleaning to see if it changes anything. it cost nothing but a few minutes of time.

at 30,000 has anyone opened her up lately to check and run the valves? If not then I suspect you will need to look into the ecu to check and make sure your sensors are in sync (ISCV) plus be able to look at the the balance between the throttle bodies. Your probably close to need a fuel filter depending on whether it has been changed or not. As Morris stated above you can definitely do the crank sensor cleaning to see if it changes anything. it cost nothing but a few minutes of time.

Pulled the crank sensor and it looks clean. No change. Looked at low tension on the two coils which I can get to without lifting the tank as I am out of time before I have to ride to a meeting. Valves have not been checked. I'll order a fuel filter. Perhaps next step will be to get a PC hooked up so I can check sensors are sync'd and balance the throttle bodies. Thanks for your ideas!

Pulled the crank sensor and it looks clean. No change. Looked at low tension on the two coils which I can get to without lifting the tank as I am out of time before I have to ride to a meeting. Valves have not been checked. I'll order a fuel filter. Perhaps next step will be to get a PC hooked up so I can check sensors are sync'd and balance the throttle bodies. Thanks for your ideas!
Yes but you should also check the front coil even though it takes a while.

Yes but you should also check the front coil even though it takes a while.
Will do, thanks. Last time I checked them I found it extremely difficult to attach the leads with the plastic shield on. especially the one "hiding" on the left. Would it cause any problem if I left these off to assure I have a tight fit? Thanks for your help!

Will do, thanks. Last time I checked them I found it extremely difficult to attach the leads with the plastic shield on. especially the one "hiding" on the left. Would it cause any problem if I left these off to assure I have a tight fit? Thanks for your help!
I left mine off plus the one under the front had a mounting plate over it for wire harnesses to connect to I decided to leave it out and just bolt the coil in that way I can get at the leads any time I have the tank up without any tools.

I found that somewhat similar running issues with mine were caused by a faulty plug lead. As you've recently changed the plugs maybe you opened up a crack in the outer sleeve or one hasn't seated properly. My bike idled and ran fine on little or no throttle but broke down under load. Interestingly it would come good at high revs if not on full throttle. Anyway, check your plug connections and leads.

Back