R3 Oil Temp Guage-Triumph Accessory?

Oil temp gauge

I bought one at a swap meet for my softail and it wasn't nearly that expensive. The oil got hot and I checked it a few times, didn't think it was a big deal and went back to the stock dip stick. The stock fit better. The temp style seemed to get foggy, wasn't glycerin filled, also like Hellfire mentioned it was marked with a line by me. Also had to be ground down to fit the hole. Just didn't care for one. Maybe you get what you pay for.

Saw one at one of the RAA's.
Young gentleman had JBWelded a cooking (like turkey) thermometer to his cap.
drilled a hole, JBWelded it in place and was very satisfied with his $3.00 gauge.
I don't remember who it was, do you HeR3tic?

:gp:

That would work! You get to keep the same oversized OEM oil cap and still get a nifty temp gauge!

I bought the one being sold from NewBonneville, R3 or what ever. Looks like a kitchen thermometer. Wouldn't even put it on my bike. New in box and on the shelf to stay.lol
**** thiing fits the opening but is so small in the diameter, it doesn't look right.
Oh well.

I bought the one being sold from NewBonneville, R3 or what ever. Looks like a kitchen thermometer. Wouldn't even put it on my bike. New in box and on the shelf to stay.lol
**** thiing fits the opening but is so small in the diameter, it doesn't look right.
Oh well.

Why don't you drill a small hole in your existing oil tank cap; and modify the bottom of the NewBonneville "thermometer so it mounts nice and flat on top of it?

Oh well.
That's the one I have, thought it looked small at first but it fits well and i'm used to it now. I found the old one the other day and held it up there thinking I might put it back on. But now ... Looks like a kitchen alarm clock. wouldn't even put it on my bike. Old in the box and on the shelf to stay. lol
**** thing fits the opening but is so big in the diameter, it doesn't look right.
Oh well.

;)

I'll see if it grows on me. I just pulled my plug and stuck the baby temp gage in. Backed off and took a look. Not too bad. Did lose about 6 ounces of weight. I am going to keep both boxes available just in case. First person to laugh at the chicken thermometer, off it comes.
Oh well.

Question on the markings of the analog dipstick

Trying to figure out if I got the wrong analog temp gauge from newr3.com the high/low markings are way off, is everyone else just making their own markings ? Thanks

Attachments

• temp dip stick.jpg
    temp dip stick.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 296
I have the same temp gauge and noticed that it had an extra line when I got it. Since it's not made specifically for the R3 they are just guides and really don't mean anything. You have to continue to check your level with the factory cap and dip-stick or make a mental note of where the proper level is on the new one to use as a guide.

Whatever you do, don't ever overfill the oil tank on the Rocket ... you will have oil blowing out everywhere!!!!

One needs to put a hard wired guage with the sending unit mounted in the engine crack case somehow. That will be one of my projects, as I hate idiot warning lights. And yes, some of the Harley accessory stuff would be a good place to start looking.

I put one on my Street Glide mounted in a spare hole in the bottom of the engine crank case. Gave me an accurate oil temperature. The ones mounted in the oil tank dip stick are not always that accurate. Many Harley guys have complained about them on the Harley forums.

My oil temps ran between 180 on cool days and up to 230 on hot days. But that was an air cooled engine. Our water cooled engines should run cooler. I also want an oil pressure guage. Again, an idiot warning light is not what I like. I'm really surprised Triumph does not have the guages installed right from the factory. And where is the tachometer on the R3T?

Back