QQ Thundermonster baffles WITH stock Jardine baffles?

norseman

Supercharged
Ride
2013 (early year) Roadster
Okay it's Norseman with another newbie question! Everybody, to the edges of your seats!

I'm putting the Jardine Roadster slashcut exhaust on my 2012 Roadster whenever they come in (hopefully early next week). I have heard the rumblers on another rocket and to be perfectly honest, despite sounding fantastic they were a bit too loud.

I found the Big City Thunder QQ Thundermonster baffles while looking for possible replacements, but it looks like they are likely to make at least as much noise as the stock baffles (though perhaps lower, throatier noise).

Some folks have been dropping the QQs into the top end of the mufflers (at the collector) and leaving the stock baffles at the spouts, but that seems like a pretty certain formula for completely negating any performance improvements gained from the higher flow pipes.

SO there are 2 possibilities and I don't have the money to experiment on a Dyno with both. The two possibilities are:

1. The QQ baffles at the header will "do their thing" and impact the flow of exhaust right away, leaving the stock baffles to dampen noise without dramatically impacting flow out the spout. (minimal/no performance loss compared to single set of baffles and I potentially get the ultra low, non-deafening exhaust note I want)

2. The QQ baffles at the header will impact flow, but when the exhaust gasses hit the second baffle they will compress again and create additional disruptive pressure waves back up through the pipe and completely screw up airflow. (big performance loss, meaning I have to pull out one of the sets of baffles to let my baby breath, wear earplugs and try not to piss off the neighbors)

possibility 2 seems dramatically more likely, but I could really use some more seasoned and better educated opinions before deciding.

I really believe that the stock Jardines are not that loud if you do not crank on the throttle. Now...I have stripped the wool off of each baffle...and it is much louder than stock...

But with out the stripped baffles in.....it is awesome loud that it hurts my ears...I can shoot a 44 mag all day with out hearing protection on...and it does not bother me one bit

Just try them out before playing with the baffles....Ride it easy around your neighbors and see what they say..

I understand your logic, and that's basically the plan.

I already have the QQ baffles in my possession and cannot return them (they don't accept any returns, apparently) and I am quite curious what they would sound like. Reports are that they are about as loud as a straight pipe, just not as "harsh" so I'm pretty sure they will be at least as noisy as the stock baffles.

The real question is just "would it screw up performance to add header baffles to a pipe that already has baffles at the spouts?"

I'm definitely trying the stock Jards before doing any additional mucking about, I'm just trying to understand my options (especially since I already paid for the QQs and have them in hand).

I think they may negate performance gains, but that's pure speculation on my part, I don't think anyone could answer your question for sure, unless they have done it.

Hard to keep track, answering the same question back and forth between the forums.

The baffles may take a bit from the top end, but I don't spend a lot of time up near redline. They also seem to add a bit of torque down low, I'm guessing (and Big City Thunder claims) that's due to a bit of increased back pressure. I haven't put the bike back on the dyno and don't intend to, but it doesn't seem to have suffered at all from the addition of the baffles.

Like Joey says just ride with'em for a while .. you may get used to it and after a while some carbon will build up they will sound deeper... less raspy. You can always add baffles if you just can't live with them. That's what i'd be doing anyway.

Yea I'm sorry GP I've been throwing a similar set of questions around a few different places... I guess it's probably bad internet etiquette. I have asked for opinions on the baffles but I was hoping for some anecdotal info about actually running both baffles and was hoping maybe to hit some new info by querying here.

Anyway I do apologize for flooding the Internets with my "baffling" repetitive questions (pun intended). I'm just hoping to piece together the closest thing to a perfect solution that I can with the resources I have.

I guess I just need to accept that there's not a clear and definitive answer other than trial and error. The error part can be pricey, is all. Anyway thanks again for your rresponses.

No problem. As TC said, might just be best to try the Jardines first and see what you think.

The more info you try to accumulate the more confusing it gets. Some will say the Jardines make their ears bleed and others will be looking to remove the baffles to make them louder. Its just too subjective an issue to find a definitive answer. You know things like, what kind of helmet do you wear, do you always wear ear plugs, do you have a windshield, how old are you (how much hearing loss do you already have), do you like loud music?

The good news is if you like the Jardines alone there will likely be somebody here who will be more than willing to buy Thunder baffles from you.

I have and run the QQ baffles, and like them.
I put them at the other end of the exhaust from the header.
Just stuffed em in there and dropped a bolt through em.
What diameter did you get?
reason I'm asking is you mentioned sending them back,
if they're the same size as mine, I'll buy them off of ya.
You got a roadster right?
I've got mine on my single 3 into 1 pipe and it's 2.5".
If you got 2 of them, I'll put all three in my 3 into 3 pipes....

What diameter did you get?
reason I'm asking is you mentioned sending them back,
if they're the same size as mine, I'll buy them off of ya.
You got a roadster right?
I've got mine on my single 3 into 1 pipe and it's 2.5".
If you got 2 of them, I'll put all three in my 3 into 3 pipes....

Yeah I bought the largest one QBL 2125 Baffles for pipes with an inside diameter of 2 1/8" and outside diameter of 2 1/4"

They are the QQs not the classic TMs. There's a good chance I'm going to run the Jards stock, at least for a while. If you are interested I'll let you know if/when I decide to try and unload them. I may keep them around "just in case" or find another use for them, but I'll decide that once I have the pipes on and get my current project sorted.

Back