Progressive Fork spring Install (revisited)

Rocket Scientist

Grand Exulted Poobah
Ride
Black 05' Rocket III standard
Hi all, was all set to do my Progressive fork spring install today. There was a really nice tutorial on the .com site (which is still down). Does anybody have a copy of that procedure on their computer they could send to me ? I have the special tools (on loan, thanks Navigator) but would feel better doing it with the instructions. Thanks, Fred

These are the photos I took during my spring change-out. The explanation for using the tools can be found in the owner's manual.

Hi all, was all set to do my Progressive fork spring install today. There was a really nice tutorial on the .com site (which is still down). Does anybody have a copy of that procedure on their computer they could send to me ? I have the special tools (on loan, thanks Navigator) but would feel better doing it with the instructions. Thanks, Fred

Fred,

The manual is here...and it's searchable.
Rocket III Manual

Wow, you had all the special tools and removed the forks just like the instructions say.
I did it with improvised self made special tools while still on the bike. I don't recommend doing it my way. My hands hurt for days afterward. :cool:

Wow, you had all the special tools and removed the forks just like the instructions say.
I did it with improvised self made special tools while still on the bike. I don't recommend doing it my way. My hands hurt for days afterward. :cool:

Special tools or not your hands can hurt for days. Just rip the skin off your knuckles a couple times and you'll get the general idea.:D

Special tools or not your hands can hurt for days. Just rip the skin off your knuckles a couple times and you'll get the general idea.:D
I compressed the springs using a pair of screwdrivers in the shim holes while a neighbor slipped my sheet metal keeper under the nut. It's very painful.

I compressed the springs using a pair of screwdrivers in the shim holes while a neighbor slipped my sheet metal keeper under the nut. It's very painful.

OK. Did you consider borrowing the tools? They're a travelling set from Navigator (I think). Course now that you're done you won't need to do that again for awhile.

Back