passenger buffeting

steve59

Nitrous
Ride
2016 KTM 1290 SDR SE. 2012 K1600 GTL Schwinn S-30
Just got back from a 200 mile round trip ride with my wife on my 06 standard with the tall roadster screen and she finally said no more long rides, she says she feels like she's in the ring with Mike Tyson!
My wife broke some ribs a couple years back (riding our waverunners) and rode back thru 4' waves without complaining so when she has a gripe I listen. I'm pretty sure i'm not the first guy to hear of this buffeting problem so if there's a solution that doesn't involve trading my rocket, unless it's for the touring model, i'd love to hear what it is.

Catherine's head is above my head when riding .. reckons she gets no buffeting at all. Know the taller BMW GS guys used to add a tip to the top of their screens. TOURTECH sells them , maybe worth a look.

like the laminar lip? I had one before getting caught in a thunderstorm blew it off she didn't ride with me then but for $89.+ shipping I suppose i'll try it again.

This was my solution. Not real cool looking, (the one on the right) but it did stop that annoying sound from the back of bike :rolleyes:

Blessing 2015 (2).jpg

If you look at my bike in the picture above you'll see my custom made lowers. I tried the Triumph lowers, they really did a nice job of blocking the wind from below, but would pull exhaust fumes up into the rider / passenger area. After much experimentation this is what I came up with. They stop a good amount of the air without gassing me and the misses.

Clearview shields is the company name. They offer several variations and with top curves to help passenger. I would look them up or call to get information straight from manufactures mouth. MTCW

Only two ways - super-duper giant truck shield that generates a gigantic bubble that leaves your lady inside it as well, or no or a very low screen that leaves both your helmets in clean air.

A mid-height screen is generally worse than useless. My Touring with the stock shield was hideous, helmet bouncing left/right constantly and hugely noisy. With a 19 inch Clearview with recurve it's pretty good.

What size is the screen and who makes it? is it stable at speed? I need to get one.

Back