Panniers for a 2013 roadster

Fat Freddy

.020 Over
Ride
roadster 2013
I want to put panniers on my 2013 roadster (something bigger and more secure than the triumph leather saddlebags). I'm sure this will involve changing the stock exhaust into some sort of shorty, and getting a frame made up, but has anyone any recommendations as to which panniers to use? Ideally I would use the Touring panniers but the Touring frame is obviously narrower than the roadster, so even if this was an available option it wouldnt work. The Touring model isnt imported into South Africa anyway.
I had TORs on my old roadster which I was very happy with, but the new roadster exhaust sounds too sanitised for me so am happy to make the exhaust change anyway. Given the very small number of R3s in SA there arent too many options for custom aftermarket stuff, so may have to import from the US I guess

You can go ahead and get it over with and purchase the Beetle Bags from Corbin. You wont have to do anything to your exhaust because they bolt right on. These are the only hard bags that you can buy that fit without question (that I am aware of). I've seen these in person and they are of great quality. They're not made of thin plastic but a thick fiberglass of some sort.

http://www.corbin.com/triumph/tr3bag.shtml

Welcome Portly Freddy .. saw a photo somewhere of a RIII with HARDSTREET panniers fitted to it. Don't remember where I saw the photo. The HARDSTREET panniers look a lot like HD ones. Maybe worth a look on their website.

Check out Leatherlyke.com saddlebags. I've got them on my '05 Rocket...no ugly brackets when they're off the bike.

You don't need to leave the brackets on when you remove the Triumph bags either. Just needs a simple mod so you can remove the bags with the brackets by simply undoing 2 bolts on each side. Bag stays attached to the bracket and it all comes away very easily.

Thanks for the advice guys. I don't have any bags or brackets on at the moment, so would be building up from scratch. I want hard saddlebags rathear than leather, and Hardstreet are 1/3rd of the price of Corbin, so I am speaking to these guys to start, specifically whether the roadster exhaust will fit under the Hardstreet Slimbag ones without them having to be fitted high. My old lady does not want to be sitting on top of the saddlebags as well as the seat!
No footboards available in South Africa, so looking at importing either Rivco or Kuryakin - possibly the Rivco boards with the repositioning bracket. Also thinking about the Thunderbike T bar - i have always felt lukewarm about the stock rocket handlebars and want something higher and broader. Being big I find the riding position of the old r3 more comfortable than the more tucked in position of the roadster, especially since my knees are shot and need to be straight whenever possible. I have put dresser bars and highway pegs on the roadster - didnt have them before and I cant say I'm getting used to them any time soon.

Thanks for the advice guys. I don't have any bags or brackets on at the moment, so would be building up from scratch. I want hard saddlebags rathear than leather, and Hardstreet are 1/3rd of the price of Corbin, so I am speaking to these guys to start, specifically whether the roadster exhaust will fit under the Hardstreet Slimbag ones without them having to be fitted high. My old lady does not want to be sitting on top of the saddlebags as well as the seat!
No footboards available in South Africa, so looking at importing either Rivco or Kuryakin - possibly the Rivco boards with the repositioning bracket. Also thinking about the Thunderbike T bar - i have always felt lukewarm about the stock rocket handlebars and want something higher and broader. Being big I find the riding position of the old r3 more comfortable than the more tucked in position of the roadster, especially since my knees are shot and need to be straight whenever possible. I have put dresser bars and highway pegs on the roadster - didnt have them before and I cant say I'm getting used to them any time soon.

At last somebody from SA with a Roadster!! Freddy - I am from Potchefstroom and also ride a 2013 Roadster and yes, to find any aftermarket products for our bikes here is a nightmare! Hopefully we can get in contact and share info??

Hey Portly ... post a pic if you end up with the Hardstreets .. then i'll know where to look for a photo of them .. know all about the dickey knees. This aging ain't for the faint hearted .. hahahahaha.

Back