Paint Can Rattle Paranoia

Gearbox

Former Member
Ride
2008 R3 Touring
After reading other threads I am now paranoid about the cam chain and sprockets. I just did a oil change and there seems to be a slight intermittent rattle coming from the Oil Tank, sounds like a ball bearing in there when I was warming up the bike to check the oil level. Not loud though. Is this the area where dreaded Paint Can Rattle comes from or is there something in the oil tank like a non return valve?
I always assumed that dodgee cam noises would come from the front lower right of the engine.

My cam chain went at 96,000 klms ... mate you'll know if your cam chain has had it , unmistakeable rattling sound and really noisy .. mine was anyway.

Mine also makes noise in the area of the oil tank on the first start up of the day. Almost a buzzing kind of sound. Goes away after about 15 seconds. Always figured it was the none return valve. Hasn't caused any problems so far at 53,000 miles.

No, paint can rattle is from the timing chain in the front of the engine. My 05 had it. Fixed with new chain, tensioners and bottom gear sprocket. No other kind of problem since.
Work was done at the dealership: First, they put in a spacer for the tensioner. no help
Next, they did new tensioners. helped, but some noise was still there.
Last, they did everything. Updated tensioners, sprockets and chain. Total cost was about $1600. I bought it knowing it had this problem with 8400 miles on it. Has just 12,000 now.

Last edited:
I had the paint can rattle on and off for about 80k miles but have not heard it for a while. I never let it bother me much. It only lasted for the first few minutes after startup in the morning. Never did get the upgrade and won't unless the chain/tensioner fails.

Gearbox when you see the chain and sprocket you'll wonder just how it can stretch .. I did anyway. Little chance of it letting go or anything by the look of it .. if it is stretched and annoying you ( how many miles you got on your bike ?) replace it .... or likes been said just live with it.

I beleieve the paint can rattle was from improper metallurgical treatment of the lower crank gear which made the key way waller out on it thus creating a rattle.
Rattle on the oil tank side is most likely the lifter piece rattling in the liffter shaft. the older lifter pieces had smaller heads on them which added to the sloppy fit and extra movement in the lifter shaft. This can be amplified if the lifter shafts segement arm is set in such a position that the liftershaft rolls all the way back on release of the clutch hitting the top of the lifter piece. Hope this does not confuse anyone as there is more to proper clutch action then just the free play. Free play is howerver verry important when it comes to liftershaft lifespan.

Scott do you know what is the expected lifespan of the cam chain on a std non moded Rocket, just curious :)

Triumph says to renew at 70,000 miles. I say watch the depth of the plunger on the tensioner especailly after adding the spacer as the further it drops the less spring tension it has which could lead to the tensioner releasing causing bad mojo:)
You get more adjustment span out of the manual tensioner but IMO the guide should have the special Warp AeroSpace Division modification :D
The 70,000 was a Triumph number!!! First one to find that out was from the UK I forget his name though.

May I borrow the thread for a moment.

Warp.

Muggzy has my motor back together (second time). Since degreeing in the cams, he is now concerned about reliability of the chain tensioner as discussed here. He is debating taking the head back off and locking the cams (so they don't change degree) then pulling the tensioner and converting it to one like Carpenter makes. I am to the point, I want to ride it. How necessary is the replacement of the tensioner? Can it be done with no risk of getting the mechanical timing off without pulling the rocker cover? Would buying one from Carpenter make it any easier?

Back