Only 97 miles and the mods have started

flhtpi

.060 Over
What kind of jackass takes apart a new motorcycle with only 97 miles on it? I started taking things off that bugged me. I removed the reflectors from the fork legs and I had to take off the chrome fork tube covers that hide that good looking and massive upside down fork. I started removing the rear reflectors from the rear fender and I some how stripped one of the holes for the fender strut. No big deal I'll just run a tap through it. I ran the tap through it alright, the wrong size!!!!! What I'd give to have good eye sight again. I'm feeling kind of stupid about now but I kept cool and started taking things apart to fix my screw up. I removed the rear fender and then the inner fender support. I removed the stripped nut that was welded to the fender support. I welded a new 10mm X 1.25 nut in place and primed and painted it. Good As new!!! I start thinking now is the perfect time to get rid of those ugly rear turn signals and to tuck the license plate as high as possible under the rear fender while I have things apart. I ordered a machined and chromed license plate frame that has built in led sequential turn signals. Parts should be here Monday. I'll post pictures when completed. See link below
Plate Frames

Last edited:
That may be a record for tinkering. Get cha a real horn while your at it. I recomend the Stebel. Can't see it, but you can sure hear it. I changed out my turn signals as well, but was somewhere around 25,000 miles:cool:

You take reflectors off? ****, I not only leave the reflectors, I add 4 more to the license plate (reflector bolts). I'd likely stick billboard on it if I thought it'd fit. ;)

I really don't think reflectors on the sides of the bike help. The rear is a different story. My biggest fear is being hit from behind sitting at a stop light on a rual hwy going to work in the morning when it's dark!!

I'd be a little concerned with being 't-boned' by someone coming out of a side street. But, I too, primarily concentrate on having my lighting in the front and in the back.

Most accidents, in my opinion, are from dimwhits pulling out in front of you from a side street.

Depending upon the color of your chosen ride, there is a nice selection of retro-reflective safety tape that can be use on your framerails. The tape blends in with the black of the frame and reflect white when struck by headlamps.

It's a cheap, unobtrusive alternative.
Motorcycle Reflective Safety Tape - Black Adhesive

Last edited:
I did the same thing, removed the reflectors and turnsignals, moved the license up. But you might want to replace the fork seal protection, Triumph does not warranty the seals and they take alot of abuse turned upside down like they are. One good rock ding in the shaft, and it's leak city. Sand them down and paint them black or something, but leaving the seals exposed out front close to the ground is asking for trouble.

I did the same thing, removed the reflectors and turnsignals, moved the license up. But you might want to replace the fork seal protection, Triumph does not warranty the seals and they take alot of abuse turned upside down like they are. One good rock ding in the shaft, and it's leak city. Sand them down and paint them black or something, but leaving the seals exposed out front close to the ground is asking for trouble.

agreed...put them back on or you're going to regret it.

I disagree but value your input. I ride with guys on sport bikes that have exposed upside down forks and none have had issues. The R3 isn't my daily rider and I'll take the risk.

flhtpi,
well you beat me.
I at least waited till mine was out of warrenty to do anything except the horn.
Yes, Stebil is definetly worth the money,
for safety if nothing else.
Can't wait to see pics.

Back