Macrider

I,m a cowboy, on a steel horse I ride.
Ride
2010 Triumph R3T Black "Darksider" imitation 70cc motorized "Harley Davidson" bicycle
Does anyone here use Rotella T synthetic oil 15W40 in thier R3?
The owners manual here says to use mobile 1 10w40.
Engine Oil​
Specification
Use a semi or fully synthetic 10W/40 or lSW/SO
motorcycle engine oil which meets specification API SH
(or higher) and JASO MA, such as Mobil 1 Racing 4T
(fully synthetiC> or MobilExtra 4T (semi synthetic>.

I do not know a lot about oil #s and am wondering what the difference is between the 10 and the 15.
The Rotella T is a lot cheaper than the Mobile 1 and easy to find at Walmart.

The main thing is that it's for wet clutch use. The detergents in automotive oils causes the oil soaked clutch to slip, it's called a "friction modifier". Personally I use Mobil 1 in everything and have since the stuff came out, I also use the thinnest grade available. I used to believe that heavy weight oil was best for harsh (abusive) use, but find that the thinner oils get to the upper engine parts quicker. Since that's where my past engine failures have been located, I try to protect the upper end as much as possible. So, it's Mobil 1 5w30 in everything. Haven't had any failures yet with it, knock on wood.
And I'm f a r from easy on my toys. ;)

Oh, and I don't change the synthetic but every 10-15k miles ... so even though it's more expensive up front, it's cheaper in the long run.

Does anyone here use Rotella T synthetic oil 15W40 in thier R3?
The owners manual here says to use mobile 1 10w40.
Engine Oil​
Specification
Use a semi or fully synthetic 10W/40 or lSW/SO
motorcycle engine oil which meets specification API SH
(or higher) and JASO MA, such as Mobil 1 Racing 4T
(fully synthetiC> or MobilExtra 4T (semi synthetic>.

I do not know a lot about oil #s and am wondering what the difference is between the 10 and the 15.
The Rotella T is a lot cheaper than the Mobile 1 and easy to find at Walmart.

I was told by the last triumph dealer whod did my 16 000kms service that all the sintec are manufactured under the same protocol, therefore all or at least most of the brand are similar and can be mixed (I think some captains are going to jump at that statement)
10-15 difference 10 has a lower temp rating than 15 do you plan on riding int he snow if not 15 is sufficienty low in viscosity

Duke you know how hard they are to crank over, the 5 weight oil helps that problem. I can't imagine trying to start a cold R3 with 15 weight oil ... even with an Odyssey.

Besides, it's not the thickness of the oil that protects moving parts, it's the pressurized oil film between them. And what builds pressure the quickest?.... thin oil.

I think alot of the R3 cranking problems would be minimized by using 5w30 synthetic, it stays runny even when it's cold.

I;ve noticed my Rocket doesn't want to start when it sits in the cold overnight, fully charged battery and all, BUT, if I set it in the sun for a few hours, TADA, it starts. My first thoughts were.......the oil is too thick. Once it run for a while it's fine, so you know what I'm doing this weekend.:D I agree Hellfire, that is most of the problem

Got a Neanderthal Harley rider at work that overheard me say I run 5w30 synthetic in my bike. He said something like "why you run sewing machine oil in yer bike for?" "I use 20w50 RACING oil in mine!". This is from the same guy who twice, has had wrist pins seize in his twin. :rolleyes:

Is there such an animal? I know in one particular class they have had some success but the regular "run of the mill" Harley...?

As far as the oil goes, this was on my dealers website in their latest Newsletter:

"TECH NEWS FROM DINK

Triumph Motorcycles Partners with Castol

While Mobil 1 had been considered Triumph's preferred oil for 15 years, the drawbacks were cost and packaging constraints.

Now, after careful and lengthy testing by Triumph of Castrol lubricants in their machines, Triumph has made the switch to Castrol. Triumph tested Castrol for several years and thousands of miles to make sure it had equal or better lubication quality and longevity.

As you know, using the correct oil in your motorcycle allows you to go 6,000 miles between oil changes on all but the Rocket III models, which allows for 10,000 miles between oil changes.

Castrol oil will be available in quart as well as four liter size bottles, and it's less expensive than Mobil 1.

As always, if you do not put 6,000 miles a year on your Triumph, you should change your oil yearly. The reason is that oil does not simply lubricate and cool your engine as you ride, it also absorbs the impurities and acids that can cause damage to your engine. If you ride enough, the impurities burn off to some extent, and stay in solution. If a bike sits a lot, those impurities attack metal parts inside."

So hopefully that will help some as far as Mobil 1 alternatives.

Dennis

16 dtg KAF
21 dtg Dubai
22 dtg London

75 dtg Dubai
76 dtg Home (Thunderbird time and, hopefully, R3T ordering time).

Me thinks Mobil raised the rate on Triumph and Castrol to the rescue. In this economical climate you have to wonder about a companies motives for change. It could be a bit like cutting the number of raisins in Raisin Bran for "Caloric Reduction Purposes". :rolleyes:

I rode Moto Guzzis for about 10 years.Thew newer engines specified using a good grade oil. Many of the riders went to Rotella oil , because of the price . Many had good luck with it. Theses were the same people who would change their oil before it got to the sluge stage.
I choose to use Amsoil because of a long history with the brand plus the repeated good write up,s I read about it. To me it is cheaper to put in decent oil and change it when you should , than to replace an engine.
The comment about all oils being the same , well that mechanic should read the wear test results. Under his idea you could use the Walmart store brand and expect the same as a name brand.

Back