Oil Filters, disposable or reusable??

Sidecar Flip

Living Legend
20150 Mc Carty Rd. Deerfield, Michigan 49238
I was cruising the internet and came upon a site that makes a reusable, cleanable oil filter for the R3 as well as my T100. Seems as though the T100 and R3 take the same filter. I love standardization.:D

Anyway, it's called Scott's reusable stainless steel oil filter and it seems like there are a lot of outlets. They aren't cheap (nothing is now days), but do they work? The Triumph filter is around 14 bucks so in a couple of years you cold break even.

Lots of guys here use the K&N and some use UniFilters, both which are reusable/cleanable. Personally, I like the UniFilter better. The K&N gauze reminds me of the filters on my '68 T120...good for stopping pebbles and not much else.

Back in the old days of agricultural equipment and some auto's, the air cleaners were oil bath. Air Maze, I believe a Cleveland, Ohio company made most of them. My old Farmall has one. I don't think oil filters were cleanable back then but had replaceable cartridges.

So, has anyone on the forum had any experience with these "non-throw-away-filters"?

Got One

I got the Scott's Stainless Steel Oil Filter right after I got the beast in 2005. All ready to put it in when everyone starts talking about how it takes the micron level so far down that you'll get clogs in the filter and reduce the flow of oil. At the time, it was just easier to keep putting regular paper filters in and wait to see if anyone had experienced any problems.

Now it's almost two years later and I forgot I had the darn thing until this post. Maybe I'll give it a try and just check it more often for any potential problems.

That's kewl...

PianoMan:

I've looked at the Scott's and the Pure Power filters. The Pure Power filter must be a subsidiary of Corbin. It's, are you ready for this...$199.00. The Scott's is half that. Visually, they look the same. They are both nicely machined units (which appeals to me).

I'm waiting for Hondax to return from the mall for his take on the reusable filter. Hondax either has a bunch of money to spend or got lost because that was at least 8 hours ago. I never last at the mall longer than about 20 minutes........:D

I remember the toilet paper roll filters of the 60's and what a flop they were. If I remember correctly, the toilet paper roll filters stripped the additive package from motor oil rendering it useless and ruining your engine in the process. Clean, clear oil isn't good oil I guess.

I don't see how oil can clog the filter. Sediment can and so can old filter media floating around in the engine but I've never heard of oil coagulating. Even with a blown head gasket and water in the oil, it still flows. It just gets milky looking.

Beats rewriting it...

I'd forgot about the Scott's filter clogging problem until I read Pianoman's thread. I wonder if it's a real issue as well?:confused:

I doubt if in my life time Flip, I will exceed the 100 bucks a Scotts filter cost(plus S/H) vs the 12 bucks and change I pay at the dealer for an official Triumph oil filter. Besides if paper is so bad why does virtually the entire transportation industry us it in both air, oil and fuel filters? Don't tell me cuz it's cheap, even though that's partially true.:D Paper works and meets or exceeds recommended air/liquid flow requirements needed to optimize performance. Why would a manufacturer put millions in designing a power-plant and then tax it's power with paper? Answer, they wouldn't.
However it appears to be a fact that more performance is gained from our Rockets with certain Gauze filters aka certain K&N types. With today metallurgy the additional grit your engine WILL see with a K&N is inconsequential but there was a time (60's) where I bet a K&N would be detrimental to the longevity of an engine.

Hondax:

I see you've returned from the mall intact. Malls can be quite detrimental to ones health at times. Sort of like a war zone with little old ladies.......

I can see your point. Triumph filter=$12.00, Scott's=$100.00 (appx.) So, you'd be good for 80K on the paper and how many guys ride 80K anyway.

Of course if you halved the recommended change interval to 5K, it would be 40 on the paper, reachable by some souls here. Of course at 40 bucks a jug for the Mobil, either way it would be around $320 for oil alone not factoring in inflation.

One thing about the Pure Power and the Scott's filters, they both look high tech.

The old oil bath air filters of yesteryear were very efficient and also cost much more to produce than a pleated paper filter and cost is the driving factor in production of a marketable product. I'd imagine that the cartridge oil filter gave way to the spin on oil filter for convenience though some manufacturers today, notably Mercedes Benz use a drop in cartridge oil filter in their engines. Are we regressing?

Sidecar - I didn't see mention of 80K between filter changes. Was that a TIC I missed. Are U suggesting changing filters every 40-80K? Surely not. Filter, filter, filter...filter.
Hondax - I disagree. But that's not why we're here...I just opened the shipping box on my Scotts filter last night. I'm impressed even for the tot. $129 price. I see herein mention of $12-14 US bucks per "Triumph" paper filters. Did I get screwed or what?

I'm starting my own religion. Strange ain't it for a Heretic. The Church of the Redeemer and the 3000 mile Filter Flush. The only scripture: Though Shalt Flush the Filter Every 3000 miles. That should recoup the cost of the Scotts filter over the course of less than 1.5 years were I to otherwise replace with paper filtration. And should I motor for another 1.5 years I'll save the price of a new Scotts filter and save wear and tear on my new girl friend. I don't want to get sand in her private parts again....Reminds me of a story...never again. And, I'll certainly report on any "clogged" conditions in a month or so; and to tell the truth, I look forward to seeing ample. If 3000 miles accumulates too much I'll revise the scripture. And, as it has been said: The K&N gauze filtration has been seen to improve performance. That can only be as a result of cleaner oil from greater filtration. The 25 micron filtration of the Scotts filter is said to elliminate the finest dust particles. Metal sluff and grunge in the oil should certainly be a thing of the past with the Scotts filter. Lets all join hands and pray now...

Last edited:
I'm starting my own religion. Strange ain't it for a Heretic. The Church of the Redeemer and the 3000 mile Filter Flush. The only scripture: Though Shalt Flush the Filter Every 3000 miles. That should recoup the cost of the Scotts filter over the course of less than 1.5 years were I to otherwise replace with paper filtration. And should I motor for another 1.5 years I'll save the price of a new Scotts filter and save wear and tear on my new girl friend

:roll:

That is hilarious.

Oil and route maintenance is like beer, everyone has their own flavor, some drink more, some drink less, some don't drink at all, some like light and some like the thick and dark and instead of less filling - tastes great, it's filters better - costs less.

The manual says to change the oil every 10,000 miles. The Rocket is my second Hinckley Triumph and I have found with both that by changing the oil more frequently than recommended improves shifting and clutch engagement. I don't change the oil more than a few times a year so the expense isn't going to change my lifestyle. I don't think the full syn oil is going to break down anytime soon, but it does help to get the crap out.

My last home brew at bottling was 15% and blacker than the Ace of Clubs. After a month of curing I popped the first cap on the worst tasting beer I'd ever had but it was killer. I don't waste food. About two or three months later I popped open another and the improvement was huge; which of course led to a second and a third helping. I think it was the grits that bolstered the spec. gravity. You can get grits in Alaska. Had I used a Scotts filter at the time of bottling the settled sludge in the bottom of the bottles would not have existed. Trying to keep it on topic.

It was just recently, I read the scoop from some major oil company engineer who said that it is the additives in the oils that wear out. His point early on, in the article, was his emphasis on filtration. In these days of doubled oil prices but relatively stagnant cost of filters I'm more encouraged to continue my routine of changing out disposable filters twice as often as oil changes.

And the Scotts filter has a strong rare earth magnet in the front face.

Last edited:
Back