Oil change woes. Help please!

jthree

Turbocharged
Ride
2007 Rocket III Classic
So I just changed my oil. Removed all three plugs and the filter. Replaced all of the above and proceeded to pour the new oil in. Started off with 2 x 1L jugs then a 4 L. Just before the 4L was empty (I was just about to stop) the oil came flooding out of the filler hole. Having run the engine for a minute and checking the level, it is way too high.

What could I have done wrong? The capacity id 5.9L isn't it?

Update...

Poured the old oil into the new containers. Only ended up with a little over 5L. Allowing for the fact that the level was a little low and I did spill some, I'm close but further than I think I should be. Any idea all the oil didn't drain?

What do I do now?

Last edited:
Not going to be much help myself, but I do know true oil level is only reflected when the engine is warm (as in after its bend running for about 10 minutes or so).

There's always some oil left in the engine, pumps, and components. The 5.9 in the book is complete system. I've never put more than 5qts in mine during a change and it's usually good, maybe another slash after running it a bit. I'd say drain some of the excess back out, let it run for a bit and check again later. ;)

If you have over filled the beast on the oil, I'd get the wife's turkey baster out, put a piece of plastic tubing on it and start taking some of the oil out of the reservoir. I believe you only get an accurate reading on the dip stick after the engine has been running and warmed up. 5 quarts is tops for a oil change, but in the future, I would start with 4.5 Qts and then work up from there.

Last edited:
take a small hose (1 or 2 feet) fill it with oil put one end into the oil tank lower the other end to a pan or bucket and remove your thumb it will siphon the oil out then put it to proper level.
ps mine holds 5 quarts.

For future reference, I alway put in 5 litres start and warm motor then let it sit before checking "make sure bike is dead level in all directions (I use adjustable screw props) check and top up, just to give you an idea I usually drain hot engine overnight if possible or at least several hours and it does not take the full 5.9 litres, as mentioned there are little hollows a and spots where oil sit and will not drain from hope this helps

Last edited:
Overfilling a little shouldn't hurt too much - it's a tank, not the sump. Just take some out ( suck or syphon is cleanest) and check when hot.

Thanks for the responses guys. I feel like such a tool now. Followed the instructions from the manual. I've done 4 or 5 oil changes on this bike already. My problem was dumping the full 6 (ish) Litres in rather than stopping at 5L and going from there. Which is precisely what I've done in the past. Just don't know what I was thinking. I guess the fact of the matter is I wasn't thinking.

Syphoned some out and we're good now. For the record, synthetic oil doesn't taste one bit better than Dino oil :)

Back