Nothing like an up- beat riding buddy

Pure inexperienced rider error.
Harley rider had NO idea of his motor's handling limits nor of his own.
He had plenty of lean angle and time left. The rider was merely too inexperienced to know how to utilize it.

I do not wish to begin an argument here, BUT according to my training and nationally renown motor crash experts, there is no such thing as target fixation.
Granted one seems to move in the direction he looks; however, there is no phenomena that freezes the actions or locks the gaze of a rider onto a particular object.
This was a human factors issue dealing with lack of proper decisions resulting from the poor skill set of the rider.

He had plenty of lean angle and time left. The rider was merely too inexperienced to know how to utilize it.

I do not wish to begin an argument here, BUT according to my training and nationally renown motor crash experts, there is no such thing as target fixation.
Granted one seems to move in the direction he looks; however, there is no phenomena that freezes the actions or locks the gaze of a rider onto a particular object.
This was a human factors issue dealing with lack of proper decisions resulting from the poor skill set of the rider.

I 100% agree with you on the first guy. Does not seem to have a firm grasp on riding, and like you mentioned, had plenty of room/time to make adjustments. I think the Daytona crashed because he was too busy watching his buddy crash and before he knew it, he was gone. I mean the bike definitely moves to where you are looking, but if you don't have the skills in a tight situation, you will more thank likely end up on the pavement.

To make it worse he was riding a Shadow that should have handled better than a little Harley, IMHO he just froze when he found himself in unfamiliar territory in loose gravel ,

Yes you do @1olbull, you want to start an argument. Okay maybe not but I for one have been taught about target fixation all through my military life. It is why we push so hard for our shipmates on the aircraft carrier to keep their head on a swivel. That is why fighter pilots have to watch everything going on to avoid getting hit by the bad guy coming up on their six while they are fixed on the target ahead.

As a youngster, my dad was trying to teach my mom how to drive, unsuccessfully. One night on a dirt road, a jack rabbit jumped up and started running ahead of us. She started following the rabbit and dad said "stay on your side of the road honey. Don’t follow the rabbit!!!" Too late, she had locked onto the rabbit and as it ran into the bar ditch, so did we. Car ended up on its side.

I found myself off my helicopter on day in Somalia resupplying a platoon of Marines out in the boonies. My helicopter suddenly took flight thus letting me know something bad was about to happen. A quick look see let me know we were getting hit by about 5 or 6 Sammies. I took to ground with a young private next to me. I was armed with my 1911, he had his M-16. A platoon of marines should make quick work of this many skinnies, so I figured I would sit this one out. The Private evidently decided he was to protect me and was focused on the mayhem forward and to our right. He didn’t see the skinny coming from forward left. The skinny shot the canteen hanging on the Private’s side right next to me. (To be fair, I didn't see the Sammie till the first shot). Even after I told the skinny to stop, the young Marine still didn’t know his gear had been hit, nor did he know the skinny was only 20 feet from us. He was too fixed on the action going on with his other buddies.

I for one am a firm believer in target fixation, but I believe it can be trained out of people with time and experience. Motor heads have to learn sometime and hopfully not the hard way.

Back