captain jack

Turbocharged
Started out from Motorway service station near Warrington, on to Knutsford very wealthy area selling all top marques of car including McLaren. On to Macclesfield, old silk marketing & spinning town. Passing on through to the best part of the run, the road to Buxton is one of the best but also the most dangerous road in England. It has now been fitted with an average speed system & seems to be monitored closely. As it happens the tight bends on the way up usually mean that reaching the 50mph limit is impossible but at times the road opens up and a good speed can be achieved, don't forget it's an average limit. Anyway a quick stop at the top at the cat & fiddle pub, tea & coffee only for me, then off again through Buxton & on to a small village called Monyash. This is a very old & quaint place with a pub/hotel, cafe, primary school & a few houses. A cup of tea & a sit down on the grass & were off again to Bakewell, didn't stop but carried on to Matlock Bath. This is a lovely town in a gorge, with the river running & a very seaside atmosphere even though it is mile inland. Lunch, mug of tea & a chat with another biker whose table I had imposed myself on & we set off on the homeward journey. The weather was very sunny & Matlock as usual was full of bikes in the thousands, some arriving, some leaving & hundreds making full use of the measly 1hr parking allowed. Off back home then via Chatsworth house, the ride through the estate is beautiful, looking down on the house from the public road that runs through the grounds. After this few minutes of peace were off to "Chapel en le Frith" which takes us on a more northerly run up towards Manchester but avoids the hell hole that is Stockport, a decent enough place but the traffic is hell on earth. With that it's back to Macclesfield & home. Real good roads, good twisties & great fun with some great speeds in lots of parts. For anyone who doesn't know the area I suggest googling cat & fiddle run & Matlock Bath, and of course Chatsworth house. I had great fun, hope you all did too.

every once on awhile the f u c k t a r d s will take a day off from trying to run me over and it seems right to share, today wasn't one of those for me, but it sounds like a special day for u.

Sounds like a great ride. We don't have average speed over here. How does that work?

Jerry
They have cameras every mile or so, if you travel between any two, or the whole run in less time than it would take to travel at the limit ( in this case 50mph) then you get a ticket in the post. It all means that you can travel like a scalded cat so long as you slow down enough at some point to bring your average down below 50. Best idea is stop off & have a coffee at the pub. Only works on that one stretch though.

:eek:What!! sun shinning in England nah your kidding me:rolleyes: .........:whitstling:;) just kiddin' sounds like you had a good day:thumbsup:

They have cameras every mile or so, if you travel between any two, or the whole run in less time than it would take to travel at the limit ( in this case 50mph) then you get a ticket in the post. It all means that you can travel like a scalded cat so long as you slow down enough at some point to bring your average down below 50. Best idea is stop off & have a coffee at the pub. Only works on that one stretch though.

Sounds like a great day, i guess that explains why those licence plates are so big..;)

Last edited:
Great run Jack. I mapped out your route on Google and reread your post while I traced your trip. Google does not do an area justice but that run up to Buxton looks fun. Too bad about the restrictions like average speed and the parking limits you mentioned but we all know, big brother needs our money worse than we do. Thanks for the story!

Back