Rick Morris

"Have you seen Junior's grades?"
Ride
2011 Rocket III Roadster
Good day, I am a newbie to the R3R but not to Triumph. I have mostly have had H-D and Kawasaki. I did have a 1970 TR6 and a 73 T140 Bonny. I cant really say I miss those 2 Triumphs. I purchased a 2011 R3R on March and I cant say enough about it. It is probably my favorite all around big muscle bike I have owned to date.
I live on Cape Cod so if there are other Eastern, MA and Rhode Island guys let me know.
The R3R is a bike I have admired for many years and when this on came up for short money I jumped on it. I took it for a quick ride on a very cold day and at that moment I knew I was buying it. I cannot believe the torque this bike has stock. But I know it has more power available and that is why I have joined this forum.I have used V&H pipes & fuelpaks and K&N filters in the past with H-D and Kawai with great success.
I love the look of the factory exhaust and want to keep that look. I definitely want to get as much power out of this bike as I can with out sacrificing the factory appearance as well as my bank account. I know it takes $$$ to get power so I will more than likely have to make excuses for the funds spent to my lovely bride. But that is a fight I am willing to have for increased performance.
I see threads about the Triumph TORs and using either K & N pods or the Ram Air kits. I prefer K & N and I will need a good tune.
I am new to using a Lap Top to tune an ECU but I am eager to learn. I see a lot of information on re mapping and uploads etc... and would love to get some or all of your advice.
My goal is more power and torque with out sacrificing street ability and over all use. I would love to get the best air flow/ air filters and exhaust set up and figure out the tune as I figure out how to down load the Tune Ecu stuff and then figure out the correct mapping.
I know I am not the only one trying to do this too. So I thank you in advance and appreciate your input.

Have a great Day, Rick

Welcome from Mississippi! You can get a little more power for relatively little money. Find a used set of tors (think I paid 200 for mine?), the K&Ns are less than 150, and a cable for tuneecu will run 20. That will get you a modest boost and de restrict your tune (pretty sure that wasn't standard until 14). But be careful. The mod bug has a way of burrowing! Bigger HP will run you a couple grand.

Welcome from Gulf of Mexico right now, but reside in Tyler, TX. Enjoy the forum!!!

Welcome from Mississippi! You can get a little more power for relatively little money. Find a used set of tors (think I paid 200 for mine?), the K&Ns are less than 150, and a cable for tuneecu will run 20. That will get you a modest boost and de restrict your tune (pretty sure that wasn't standard until 14). But be careful. The mod bug has a way of burrowing! Bigger HP will run you a couple grand.
Thanks, I have purchased the cable but the security on my company issued lap Top prevents any down loads so i guess I will be looking for a used lap top too. I think I have the correct part numbers for the 3 K&N air filters. I am working on the the air sensor and breather filter part numbers next week. I can order any K&N from a local parts guy. I see a kit on Pure Triumph for $180.00 but I know I can figure the correct numbers for less money. What do you know about deleting the cat?

Thanks, I have purchased the cable but the security on my company issued lap Top prevents any down loads so i guess I will be looking for a used lap top too. I think I have the correct part numbers for the 3 K&N air filters. I am working on the the air sensor and breather filter part numbers next week. I can order any K&N from a local parts guy. I see a kit on Pure Triumph for $180.00 but I know I can figure the correct numbers for less money. What do you know about deleting the cat?
Welcome from the Gulf coast of Louisiana.
The cats on a Roadster is in the last part of the exhaust. If you go with TORs the cat is gone. Of course any aftermarket exhaust will get rid of them also. The manifold is very restrictive too, but any full exhaust system will run $1500-$2000.

Thanks for the response. So the cat is not under the bike on a 2011? That big bulky collector seems a little useless if it isn't full of some type of power robbing catalyst. Why bother with such a heavy and bulky looking box? I have not taken the mufflers off yet but if they are indeed part of the catalytic system they must be very heavy. Has anyone every tried to dissect a factory Rocket muffler? Well I hope to have this thing pulling some good reaction times soon. I will say that this bike has unreal amounts of torque and power in its stock setup. I cant wait to get it figured out.

Back