New rocket 3 roadster owner, first ride impressions

Claviger

Aspiring Student
Ride
'21 Z H2, '14 R3R, '02 Daytona 955i
As a proud new owner of a 2014 rocket 3 roadster I got to take it out today for the first time since buying it. I currently ride a Daytona 955i which has been dynoed 135 horsepower and 72 pounds of torque.

The immediate impression of the rocket from the first easing out of the clutch is that there is an impossibly huge amount of torque available. The engine is not yet broken in so I don't want to beat on her too hard. I keep the shifts below 4000 rpm, and even then it is a totally foreign feeling how hard the bike pulls. It's like the hand of God is pushing you forward regardless of which gear or what RPM you are at.

I am instantly satisfied with my decision knowing I will not be disappointed with the power of the rocket 3 compared to the Daytona. I go do some cornering trying to find the lean limit before dragging and I am pleasantly surprised to find it is not easy to drag the pegs.

On the way back, the rider im with on a screaming eagle stage 4 Harley decides to take off from about 10 miles an hour without warning me, so I was in second gear. I whack it open and in about 100 feet the rocket has matched the Harleys pace and is beginning to overtake when I let off.

With just that short 5 mile ride I know I am forever a convert from sport bikes ultra Torquey cruisers. Thank you all for keeping this model alive through sales numbers over the last 10 years so I could have my very own rocket 3.

PS: this was my first time ever riding a cruiser, of any variety, and the only motorcycle I'v ridden besides my 'tona since I started riding 5 years ago! I love that going 70 miles an hour feels fast, in fact 70 on the rocket feels like 140 on the Daytona and I see my license lasting a lot longer now.

Last edited:
As a proud new owner of a 2014 rocket 3 roadster I got to take it out today for the first time since buying it. I currently ride Daytona 955 I which has been dynoed 135 horsepower and 72 pounds of torque.

The immediate impression of the rocket from the first easing out of the clutch is that there is an impossibly huge amount of torque available. The engine is broken in so I don't want 2 beat on her too hard. I keep the shifts below 4000 rpm and even then it is a totally foreign feeling how hard the bike pulls. it's like the hand of God is pushing you forward regardless of which gear or what RPM you are at.

I am instantly satisfied with my decision knowing I was not going to be disappointed with the power of the rocket 3 compared to the Daytona. I go do some cornering trying to find the lean limit before dragging and I am pleasantly surprised to find it is not easy to drag the pegs.

On the way back the rider im with on a screaming eagle stage 4 Harley decides to take off from about 10 miles an hour without warning me, so I was in second gear. I whack it open and in about 100 feet the rocket has match the Harley space and it's beginning to overtake when I let off.

With just that short 5 mile ride I know I am forever a convert from sport bikes altra Torquey cruisers. Thank you all for keeping this model alive through sales numbers ouer the last 10 years so I could have my very own rocket 3.

PS: this was my first time ever riding a cruiser, of any variety! I love that going 70 miles an hour feels fast, in fact 70 on the rocket feels like 140 on the Daytona and I see my license lasting a lot longer now.

G'day and welcome to the forum....

The beauty about the Rocket (as you'll discover) is that 'First impression' keeps impressing with every ride...and just when you think you are used to it...you ride it...you feel it again and you develop a facial distortion that you cannot remove...BE CAREFUL! Once you own a rocket there is a real inevitability about damaging your facial muscle.

It is reffered to as 'Rocket myofascial pain syndrome'. We here call it the Stupid Rocket Grin. Something happens where you simply can't wipe that fckin huge grin off your face every time your ride her. :D:D:D

Enjoy mate and welcome to the best forum about the best bikes the world has seen!

Somehow there is a cable that's been connected from my right hand to the corners of my mouth. However, it only works while twisting the throttle on the Rocket. No other bike makes me smile like this one - even after 2 years of riding it.

Welcome!! I have almost 400 miles on my 14 R3R and grin just looking at it. Your ride description was spot on! I also made the change from sport bikes and can't imagine having any other bike. It's funny how many people stop to look at you when you drive by.

Enjoy!

IMG_20140728_103705.jpg IMG_20140728_103643.jpg
She will never be this shiny again, more black bits are already in the mail:p

Haha Ponters, it would seem I have already contracted the symptome. It was 5 miles of smiles, and now 3 hours later I am still grinning thinking about it.

Boog , funny you should ask. I am on Oahu, Hawaii, and I am fairly certain I now have the only (as no more are coming until the 2015my) 2014 R3R on the island.

365/24/7 riding weather is kick ass.

I worry about my Daytona now. I fear she may turn into either a garage queen or a track only bike. Can't see myself deliberately getting on her over the R3, because the only reason I'd do so is to go really haul ass on curvey roads, something I have enough sense to avoid now since I enjoy a perfect driving record at the moment.

Last edited:
Wlcome from IN hard to ride year around here with the snow you think you like it now but wait till you start doing mods to open her up whole new game again :p

Heres another Aussie Welcome coming at ya, I like to call it "SillyGrinitis" and after 4 1/2 years I still have it every time I ride "The Mistress"

Welcome from Germany! Better knock on wood though as I know many of us can attest that rather than keeping your driving record clean, the beast has a way of hurting it! Btw if you think 70 feels fast, wait til you shift into 3rd ;)

Back