New R3 Roadster - TOR no secondaries

hart24601

.020 Over
A huge thank you for all the information on this site! I got my Roadster two weeks ago after trading in my tricked out zx14 - I wanted something a bit more comfortable and where I could accelerate and feel the power but not have to be going 130 in 2nd gear to do so!

Anyway, the dealer gave me a deal on the TOR's and did the install/remap for free. I just got it done yesterday, I was hoping for a bit more sound, but it does sound good. I bought the triumph crossover and found out that it does not fit roadsters. :mad: I couldn't tell any change in performance, maybe greater pick up off the line with the TORs.

Then I found out yesterday about the secondaries like I removed from the 14. I looked up everything I could find about doing that I could find, most of it from this site. I took those out last night, holy **** what a pain in the *** to put the stock parts back on. I never want to do that again. I did the 12 min “tune” after that and took the bike out today…..

WOW! Amazing. The midrange is SO much stronger; it really feels like a different bike. Most the time when I get on it (like leaving lights) it I don’t do full throttle or take to redline – I do that sometimes, but generally it’s just heavy throttle 2k-5kish and taking the plates out has made that so much better. I love it. Even cruising at 30mph in 2nd gear grabbing a handful of throttle is amazing. I have a smooth throttle hand so I have not noticed any problems at all with jerkiness or anything.

Future plans may be the aftermarket crossover with a PC3 and getting it tuned at the local shop (no dyno just A/F sadly), but that’s more money I don’t want to spend right now (I am happy with it anyway), maybe in the Spring. I am not trying to get every last HP out of the bike, I had a bike that went 190 – but ****, this thing is FUN! Amazes me that they kept it so neutered when there are bikes like the vmax and diavel out there – the huge torque is what sets it apart from those and they should really celebrate that and not restrict it imo.

A huge thank you for all the information on this site! I got my Roadster two weeks ago after trading in my tricked out zx14 - I wanted something a bit more comfortable and where I could accelerate and feel the power but not have to be going 130 in 2nd gear to do so!

Anyway, the dealer gave me a deal on the TOR's and did the install/remap for free. I just got it done yesterday, I was hoping for a bit more sound, but it does sound good. I bought the triumph crossover and found out that it does not fit roadsters. :mad: I couldn't tell any change in performance, maybe greater pick up off the line with the TORs.

Then I found out yesterday about the secondaries like I removed from the 14. I looked up everything I could find about doing that I could find, most of it from this site. I took those out last night, holy **** what a pain in the *** to put the stock parts back on. I never want to do that again. I did the 12 min “tune” after that and took the bike out today…..

WOW! Amazing. The midrange is SO much stronger; it really feels like a different bike. Most the time when I get on it (like leaving lights) it I don’t do full throttle or take to redline – I do that sometimes, but generally it’s just heavy throttle 2k-5kish and taking the plates out has made that so much better. I love it. Even cruising at 30mph in 2nd gear grabbing a handful of throttle is amazing. I have a smooth throttle hand so I have not noticed any problems at all with jerkiness or anything.

Future plans may be the aftermarket crossover with a PC3 and getting it tuned at the local shop (no dyno just A/F sadly), but that’s more money I don’t want to spend right now (I am happy with it anyway), maybe in the Spring. I am not trying to get every last HP out of the bike, I had a bike that went 190 – but ****, this thing is FUN! Amazes me that they kept it so neutered when there are bikes like the vmax and diavel out there – the huge torque is what sets it apart from those and they should really celebrate that and not restrict it imo.

You will need to go with the PCV for the roadster the pc3 isnt compatable.
Another good bang for your buck which is plug and play is the GIpro/atre you will find alot of info on that little gem on this site also just use the search function.
regards mitch

I took those out last night, holy **** what a pain in the *** to put the stock parts back on. I never want to do that again. I did the 12 min “tune” after that and took the bike out today…...

G'day and welcome from Australia. Had the same experience when removing secondaries. Simple solution would have been to install triples at the same time. Whole job would have taken 20 mins. I learnt that the hard way too. :mad:

http://www.r3owners.net/bearclaw-corner/8688-site-rocks.html?highlight=site+rocks

Glad you're lovin' the ride. I only gets better. :D

Thanks for the info with the pcv, I had not really checked on that yet. The gi seems nice, but having the gear read in a different number on the triumph gauge, even if it has it's own indicator is the sort of thing that bugs me, lol. I am curious about the giPro and no secondaries, I'm sure it's better as the ignition seems to change depending on gear, but I have read some posts that say the gain isn't very large doing both.

Yes... I would have put the K&N filters on if nothing else to spare the pita of replacing stock. I do like keeping the stock system on right now because I figure the a/f ratios after the tos tune will be better than if I replaced the filters.

I have to say, for spending $400 on the TOR's with free install and map along with the FREE (cept my FURY over replacing parts) removing of butterflies I am really happy with this bang for the buck.

Welcome abourd anyway mate im sure you will find some great info here and you will have many many miles of fun on the beast that is the rocket 3
:cool:

I agree with the gear reading on Gipro atre being annoying too.

I think getting rid of 1-3 restrictions via comp (Comm V), removing secondaries, Tors, K&N air pods and you'll be right to go. Most people couldnt ask for more. If you did this you'd most likely get a "real" 150hp at rear wheel and bike would run nicher than stock. Tor's with no secondaries on stock tune wouldnt really change much other than sound and depending on your individual tune perhaps flatten out torque curve a little but deristriction is the key to throttle cracking fun!
I have an 09 standard so i wasnt lucky enough to get the factory gear position gauge like you guys so i welcomed the extra feature of the gipro even though all the other stuff has been set in my tune ecu programe anyway.
i will be going for a pcv and a dyno tune once my headers arrive :cool:

I can see that the gipro would be great if you didn't have an indicator. I bet you can't wait for those headers and tune!

I would love to see a dyno run in 1st or 2nd gear with and without secondaries any either with or without the TORs. 4th may not have much or any change, but 1-3 are a beast now! It's more than just throttle response - the midrange feels so much stronger and I'm not a little guy so some big changes must have happened.

Welcome

I came from a ZX10R to the Roadster. More comfort and still have power is what I wanted also. You chose well!!

Here is what you might find interesting.

Roadster crossover
Link Removed

Part #TR CO ROC R

Call CalMoto Link Removed
Thats where I got mine

TuneECU

TuneECU_Start

I was a little worried about doing this myself but after I finished up downloading a tune on my bike, found that it improved dramatically, then it was all down here from there. It was good that it was FREE as well!

Tri K&N filters

Link Removed

I have Tors with Staintune crossover, Tune downloaded using TuneECU, Tri filters, and the front wheel come off the ground very easy in first and also come up going into second as well. I road a 50ft wheelie in second yesterday and was grinning from ear to ear. With a little practice and getting used to the additional power a longer wheelie might be in the future. Being serious however and keep the front end down she WILL get up and go. Talk to you later

Back