New member, would like to know what you thinkk about new law in Texas?

40mmrrsmith

Supercharged
Ride
2005 Rocket 3
Hello I am new here and to forums in general. I have learned a lot from you guys' past threads even before I got the R3. Thank You. Since I got the R3 I have not even started my new TBird (2 months) & would like to sell it if I didn't have to take such a big hit. I don't know what the proper protcol is or if this is the wrong place, but I heard about a new law in texas that has me p'oed. Starting this year in Texas all passengers on a motorcycle has to have foot holds (pegs) & hand holds. No problem with foot pegs that is common sense. But the tropper on the news program stated hand holds on both sides of the bike for the passenger to hold onto while riding. He also said these handles can be installed at your dealer or through the aftermarket. What do you guys think about this? I do not know the exact wording of the law but what about the strap that a lot of bike seats have already? Is the seat strap good enough to prevent a ticket? I am an AMA member and I didn't hear anything about this until today. I will be checking with them later today, they usually inform members about laws being proposed in their state in time to do something about. Maybe I was asleep at the wheel and missed the email.

Stupid law. Another "it's not my fault that I was too stupid to hang on to the rider", no personal responsibility knee-jerk reactionary law.

I feel for the family that lost their daughter but this is not the right way to address this.

I have heard/read this story from three different sources. I could be mistaken but it seems the seat strap is not sufficient, They all state it has to be a bar on both sides of the bike.

First of all, g'day and welcome y'all.

It is a stupid law, and it requires you to have the handle for a passenger even if you never have a passenger on the bike. Is there a definition as to what constitutes a "handle"? If your saddle bags have handles would that be sufficient? If you have a sissy bar would that be sufficient? If you have a strap across the seat would that be sufficient? Would a driver's backrest be sufficient?

First of all, g'day and welcome y'all.

It is a stupid law, and it requires you to have the handle for a passenger even if you never have a passenger on the bike. Is there a definition as to what constitutes a "handle"? If your saddle bags have handles would that be sufficient? If you have a sissy bar would that be sufficient? If you have a strap across the seat would that be sufficient? Would a driver's backrest be sufficient?
This has worked for over 100 years...:inlove

I have to admit I missed hand holds -- and I remember when reading up on the R3T when I was considering the purchase, one reviewer specifically cited the lack of grab bars as a negative for the R3T.

Among the amazing technical folks here, what would it take were one to want the grab bars, independent of any law ?

Thank you.

Last edited:
welcome from Arizona
i think we have the same law here i always assumed that the strap was acceptable. also the feet must reach the pegs. and i think a passenger must wear a helmet if they are under 18 years or they could hit you with child endangerment. i know if you have had a beer you better not have anyone under 18 with you.

WTF!!??
Stupid knee jerk legislation.
I hope the strap works. I guess; I'm going to have to buy some leather and find a way to bolt it on.

Back