New battery and wont start

stretch257

Standard Bore
I just replaced my battery on my 08 rocket with a evo2 16 cell hd. It has 13.6 volts, and when I try to start it the starter engages and does say half a turn and stops. Any ideas?

Thanks

battery

Sounds like a weak battery.
Hook up booster cables from a car battery (NOT with car engine running) and see if it starts. If not then the new battery is defective or you have a bad connection, check terminals are clean.

Try checking all connections at the starter and earth connections. Also wiggle the starter switch it may have water in it. There is a connector that comes off the positive side of the battery, if this comes away or is lose this will stop everything working.

I have cleaned all grounds and positives and have 13.2 v to starter post. With warmer weather today 45 degrees it turns over very slowly. Or stops at one half revolution could it be a short in the starter as it has been in the garage all winter?

I have cleaned all grounds and positives and have 13.2 v to starter post. With warmer weather today 45 degrees it turns over very slowly. Or stops at one half revolution could it be a short in the starter as it has been in the garage all winter?

You might have gotten a "dud" battery. Are you sure the battery is fully and deeply charged ? If the answer is yes, I would take it back where you bought it and have them load test it. If you bought it online, most autoparts stores have a load tester, they should be able to test it for you.

You might have gotten a "dud" battery. Are you sure the battery is fully and deeply charged ? If the answer is yes, I would take it back where you bought it and have them load test it. If you bought it online, most autoparts stores have a load tester, they should be able to test it for you.

+1
The battery may have volts until you put it under load (amp draw). Then they evaporate like dry ice on a skillet when the starter button is pushed. Had a similar experience years back at the plant. We were living on battery power (nominal 133VDC) during a refueling outage (looong story). When the battery got down to 105VDC it dropped to 60VDC in less than a minute. That was eye opening (that and putting raw lake water into our steam generators as a result from all the auto actuations...:eek:) In the nuclear game that's an oops.

+1
The battery may have volts until you put it under load (amp draw). Then they evaporate like dry ice on a skillet when the starter button is pushed. Had a similar experience years back at the plant. We were living on battery power (nominal 133VDC) during a refueling outage (looong story). When the battery got down to 105VDC it dropped to 60VDC in less than a minute. That was eye opening (that and putting raw lake water into our steam generators as a result from all the auto actuations...:eek:) In the nuclear game that's an oops.

La, La, La, La I have my hands over my ears :eek:

Well I had the battery tested and they say it is good at 300 cca not at 400 cca. But two motorcycle battery's hooked together by jumpers don't get the job done. But the two battery's on my cummins will make it go.

Back