Never Re-invent the wheel

Ron

Air Cav!
Ride
2013 Rocket III Touring
Like my thread title says, I never like to try something unfamiliar when I can be somewhat sure that someone has done the same work before! I recently purchased a tank bra for my 2013 R3T and I know I have to pull the instrument panel off of the tank to install it. My question is...what will I encounter under there? I will probably have to disconnect some wiring in the process and am wondering if this will cause any difficulties. I know some of you are the experts (and probably more daring than I am ) when it comes to pulling parts off your bike, so any help would be appreciated!

I thought about one of those tank bras, but with the soft paint on these bikes I decided against it. It is bound to get something under the bra and wear though to metal PDQ. I have had my panel off a couple of times and the hardest part is getting the rubber seal back in place properly. I *think* there is just one plug that is easy to get to to pull it off completely.

bob

You shouldn't have to disconnect the instrurments to install the bra, there is only a single connection. But if you do don't be surprised if the check engine light is on.

Like my thread title says, I never like to try something unfamiliar when I can be somewhat sure that someone has done the same work before! I recently purchased a tank bra for my 2013 R3T and I know I have to pull the instrument panel off of the tank to install it. My question is...what will I encounter under there? I will probably have to disconnect some wiring in the process and am wondering if this will cause any difficulties. I know some of you are the experts (and probably more daring than I am ) when it comes to pulling parts off your bike, so any help would be appreciated!

It is simple enough as I have had mine off a couple of times. Take my advice and use some electrical tape to tape the tank seal down to the chrome panel. Make sure to tape it all around and towards the front as well. This will save a lot of grief and make it easy to simply set the panel back on during assembly. Remove the three screws holding it on and when you pick up the instrument panel slide a towel underneath it so you don't scratch your tank. This helps if you have to unplug the panel to install the bra. To unplug the harness pull the boot around it back slightly. The release tab on the harness, I believe it's towards the back side facing the seat. Simple enough to put back together just reverse the steps and screw it back down. Remove the tape and your good to go. I had no problem with a check engine light.

Last edited:
I recently purchased a tank bra ,,,,, My question is...what will I encounter under there?

I know what should be found under a bra but, why not get the rubber tank pad set, no chance of getting paint scratched.

My experience with a tank bra is once you put it on your stuck with it. Over time dirt will get under it and just plain old micro vibration will chafe the paint. If you decide to take it off, you will see where it made contact with the paint. You most likely will not be able to rub it out.

IMO its not worth it does little for the looks or convenience of that little bitty pocket that barely holds a cell phone yes it does rub the "shine" off and scratch the paint on my 07

Back