Need an improved negative ground cable...

Buck Mossie

Man of the People
Ride
2007 Carpenterized Classic
I have read all the posts about the benefits of replacing the negative ground cable with a larger 4 gauge wire, and the excellent write-up on how to make my own. Unfortunately here in Hollywood, in my apartment, I am not set up to solder a wire with mapp gas. Does anyone have an extra improved negative ground cable that they fabricated that they would be willing to part with?

S/F

B

Which earth cable? The one on the battery or the one between the block and frame?

He would be referring to the one from Battery to engine Block next to starter, to the OP take your lead to an Auto-Electrician and get him to make it up, I would also suggest you get him to make it an inch longer as original is barely long enough

He would be referring to the one from Battery to engine Block next to starter, to the OP take your lead to an Auto-Electrician and get him to make it up, I would also suggest you get him to make it an inch longer as original is barely long enough

You are correct.. I will give take mine to an automotive electric shop...

S/F

B

Can someone explain to me why replace the earth cable only, I thought that both ground & supply cables should be replaced, assuming of course that they are the same size as each other as standard fit.

Jack replacing both is actually a good idea improvemnet have been good when just replacing the ground which was the first one done a couple have replaced both with great results. When I do my starter mod I will be replacing both.

A wise but stubborn man once told me the better the electronics are on a bike the better it runs!!!!

Thanks Warp. A few weeks ago I had the need to call out the breakdown service as the bike would not start, he connected his booster pack using lighter leads as they are easier to use but the bike would not start, in a last ditch attempt he connected the heavier leads & she started up straight away. A simple lesson on the importance of cable sizing and voltage drop when a weak battery cannot produce the extra current to give the power needed. I make it halfway to your wise but stubborn man, just missing the wise bit!

When did this modification come about, this is the first time i've heard of this. Just curious what gauge wire your replacing the existing cable with...:confused:

When did this modification come about, this is the first time i've heard of this. Just curious what gauge wire your replacing the existing cable with...:confused:

I purchased a used negative cable from a wrecked Rocket off of EBAY for $4 with free shipping. Following Tomcats advice I took it to my local auto-electric shop that worked on performance cars and told them I wanted this cable reproduced in a heaver gauge wire and one inch longer. They asked if I needed the old cable back and I said no. They salvaged the original fittings off of the original cable, acid washed them, and then pulled some new heavier gauge cable from their left over bits bin that was from a Dodge viper they were working on. The whole thing was done in under 30 min. I took it with me when I got the bike serviced and the tech swapped cables for me for free.

Easy day...

S/F

B

Good illustration (video) of why you might want this upgrade here -

(yes, that's not a rocket but this is a universal mod)

That thread also has source in the first post of how you can get these custom made to your specification by Genuine Dealz at affordable price.

Back