my rocket won't start

TURBO200R4

stand up straight and grab the world by the a$$
Ride
07 rocket III classic
hi
it was a nice friday morning and i decided to take the rocket to work. turned the key on, flipped on ign. switch and nothing happened the only thing that came on was the feeling of dread.
ok time to check out tried it again nothing, i have taillights,little parking lights,horn. about a year or so ago i had put on a couple of relays and wired very simmular to what hanso does. so i turned on lights and both low & hi beams worked. seems as though battery is ok. took el camino to work brought home stuff like multi meter, power probe(tool that will tell pos. from neg. and also make different noise when touched to pos. from neg.) some odds & ends for wire repair.
saturday morning turned on key still nothing. with key on all fuses checked from 12.42 to 12.70 it appears that the switch is ok.
i studied the wiring dia. for a while. and hooked up my power probe and started to check some of the relays. i put 12v to the fan and it came on, 12v to fuel pump and it came on,12v to the engine manage relay and the tach/speedo made the swings and all the lights came on just like they do before it starts. i tried to start it with the starter button and it won't start. looked at the wiring dia. some more, then put a jumper wire from the battery to the engine manage relay apply side and the tach/speedo made the swings and all the lights came on just like they do before it starts and then removed the starter relay and applied 12v to the starter. started right up.
back to the wiring diagram. i think that my problem is under the tank. my best guess is the connector is melted or i have a pack rat or kangerrue mouse chewing on the wires. i will ride it to my shop.
sunday i got to thinking that it is not smart to ride a bike that will do 140mpr without anything to shut it down so i was able to put my jumper wire into the ign. circuit so i could turn it off with the ignition switch.
made it to the shop on monday. i will keep you posted when i remove the tank.
herman

Did you check the clutch switch? I had to replace mine.

There's also the sidestand switch. Gear position switch, too.

thanks for reply the gear position switch should be ok as it works when i applied eng. management relay. i bypassed the clutch sw. and the sidestand switch when i applied the starter so i don't know if they work. thats a good question i will keep that in mind.
thanks herman

Have you checked the starter button? It can get dirt and crud in there - but it is reasonably easy to get it apart and put back together to check and clean.

Have you checked the starter button? It can get dirt and crud in there - but it is reasonably easy to get it apart and put back together to check and clean.

I would put bike in neutral, engage clutch and tie it to the grip, ignition 'ON' then bypass the start switch at the relay. If it starts you have a switch problem, if it doesn't start you have a problem with either the switch or relay (listen for the relay clicking)

HI
thanks for info
ran a few more tests neutral light/switch works ok, kick stand switch works the way it is supposed to .starter button doesn't work. eng kill switch doesn't work.
my pardner looked under the tank and found a nice cozy mouse nest. so i know i have to pull the tank. thanks for your replies.
i will keep you posted. herman

Attachments

• CrazyMouse7001.gif
    CrazyMouse7001.gif
    7 KB · Views: 116
hi
sorry i am a week late in posting i been a busy beaver.
ok lifted the tank and a small mess cleaned out the nest and found about 4 inches of coating gone from my headlight wires going from relay to headlights. he might have done the rocket in because i had the wires over the fuel rail. the rocket would not start because the pack rat chewed the wires off the plug right at the area of the alarm circuit. he left me enough room to be able to splice the wires back together and it made a perfect place to put a wire there and run it under tank for a jumper wire for future problems.
ok it was not hanso's crazy mouse, it was an impersanator.
going to try to load pics they are not very good.
herman

Back