My baby is sick, won't start!!

RockyIII

Supercharged
Hi everyone, I'm in a state of desperation at the moment. I've been trying to start my bike for the past couple of days and managed to get it going once, but now it just doesn't want to start at all, no matter what I do.

Last night, the starter started making loud clicking sounds and the bike would just automatically restart itself. Also if I keep trying the started button the bike loses power and there are no clicking sounds to be heard. When I leave the bike for a while, power picks up, but only good enough for some presses of the starter and no power again.

Does anyone have advice as I'm really stuck now, could it just need a new battery. The current battery was installed Dec 10 and was left sitting for about a year doing nothing in 2011.

Many thanks guys

I would sure start with the battery.. You do not have a charger? or even jumper cables to see if you can boost power through the battery?

Pull the battery and have it tested....

Hi everyone, I'm in a state of desperation at the moment. I've been trying to start my bike for the past couple of days and managed to get it going once, but now it just doesn't want to start at all, no matter what I do.

Last night, the starter started making loud clicking sounds and the bike would just automatically restart itself. Also if I keep trying the started button the bike loses power and there are no clicking sounds to be heard. When I leave the bike for a while, power picks up, but only good enough for some presses of the starter and no power again.

Does anyone have advice as I'm really stuck now, could it just need a new battery. The current battery was installed Dec 10 and was left sitting for about a year doing nothing in 2011.

Many thanks guys

From what you say IMO you need a battery by the sound of it they loose memory when standing and wont charge to capacity.. also he auto start sounds like the relay or starter solenoid is getting hot because of low battery cranking amps and causing the contacts to temporally sitck or weld together...

I just fitted a a Merican Decca 300a/c expensive in Oz but cranks like crazy :)
Contact Us... owner Neil ..
HTH..someone will clarify..

Sure sounds like the cells in the battery have collapsed, new battery required.
A battery not used will die faster than a battery used everyday.

My 2010 Roadster is at the dealership right now for the reasons you have described.
They said they had it fixed so as I was going to crank it to come home it wouldn't start. Tech came out to try it and it still wouldn't start. They pushed it back in the shop. So I had to leave it with them. That's been 3 days ago. What they told me initially is that the main power wire was loose between the battery and ECU. I didn't really believe that so with it not cranking proves my thoughts to be true. I think it's either the switch or ECU. I know that I have fiddled with the tunes a lot on this bike using Tuneecu and wonder if Tuneecu has damaged my ECU... just guessing. You have been doing some tune changes recently haven't you?

Thanks everyone,

I will start with the battery for sure as the terminals look very dry and white pitted as aluminium gets when exposed.

Out of curiosity, with the restarting happening as you explained, I hope I haven't damaged anything in the process of repeatedly trying to start it. I'm hoping a fresh battery should do the trick.

Also, Like you, I have played around with tunes and will also check the main power wire which is the thin one I believe with a small connector. I haven't played with tuneecu for a while but have stuck with the 20050dyno_decel which I think is great.

Your comments are always appreciated and help my learning curve, cheers. Anymore advice will be welcome to relieve my stressed head.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 122
The rocket seems to need a battery in tiptop condition to start it.
When not in use hook her up to a life support machine if you've no power where you
store the bike..take the battery off and hook it up at home.
good for you..good for the bike..good for the battery ;)

Ray

Thanks again.

I've just confirmed the power at battery as 8.8 with starter fuse in place and 9.3 without the fuse.

All I get now, and please confirm if this SHOULD happen, when I hit the starter button all I can hear is the starter relay click (faint click sound) now, not even the starter motor does anything, no cranking or anything.

Do these symptoms sound about right with a useless battery? Cheers guys.

Thanks again.

I've just confirmed the power at battery as 8.8 with starter fuse in place and 9.3 without the fuse.

All I get now, and please confirm if this SHOULD happen, when I hit the starter button all I can hear is the starter relay click (faint click sound) now, not even the starter motor does anything, no cranking or anything.

Do these symptoms sound about right with a useless battery? Cheers guys.

Yep.. mine is reading 14.2 volts... make sure you get a good high output battery and use a bike battery charger not a car charger as you could cook the battery... otherwise you will be doing this again shortly :)

Back