Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bruzer05

Standard Bore
Ride
2008 Rocket III
History:
2008 Rocket III. Bought used from a small HD dealer in June 2013 while moving cross country. I should have been cautious because the check engine light and gas gauge light were on. Soon after, it had trouble starting. Would crank over several times before ignition, and once start the RPMs would fluctuate for about 20 seconds before stabilizing. Ran fine once started and would usually start fine again after that unless it sat for a day. I thought it was most likely a fuel pressure issue. Also, started to have an issue where the trip odometer would zero itself each ride, and I could not cycle through to the odometer and two trip meters. That cleared itself after awhile. In October, I did some tinkering. I disconnected the fuel line, and when I turned the key all the way over, the fuel pump did prime the line. I started hooking the bike up to a battery tender, and the starting got better so I suspected a bad battery. Winter was coming and I didn’t want to let a fresh battery sit for long period of time so I elected to wait. In November, the speedometer stopped doing its sweep, and the odometer LCD showed all 8’s, and the speedometer does not register when riding. I last rode it in November, and started tinkering with it again in January. I had not planned to wait so long so I did not put fuel stabilizer in. I could not get it to start at all in January. I could not get the speed/odometer to work. I plan to swap my gauges onto a co-workers bike this week to test them out. Of note, the bike electronics seem to be modified. There are several junctions not plugged into anything. There is one junction that is white while all the rest are black. When I disconnect that white junction, the gauges go dead; no lights. My co-worker said it looks like the catalytic converter was removed.
Issues:
1) Starting: Fuel? Battery? From November to January with no riding and not on a tender, the battery was at 12.6V
2) Gas gauge: Light always on. Left side seal on bottom of tank has very slow leak; only noticeable over period of time. Looks like some fungal build up in tank from sitting over winter
3) Check engine light: P0460 Fuel Level Sensor; P1231 Fuel Pump relay open circuit; P1552 Fan Relay open circuit or short circuit to ground (the fan does turn on and off though)
4) Oil: Want to change because I have no service records
5) Electrical: Try to get back to factory settings? Catalytic convertor possibly removed though
6) Suspension: Looks like modified shocks, I bottom out when riding with passenger. I need a spanner wrench to adjust the height to long throw

This is one of the reasons I never buy my main riding bike used...sorry that you have these problems and a double shame that you probably will not be able to find the previous owner and ask him what modifications did he do to the bike as at least then you would know where to start to get this bike back on the road.
Good luck!

Dennis

With soem pictures it would be hard to diagnos whats going on. Perhaps you could post some of the wiring under the tank. Other then that you might want to look for another complete harness.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/08-Triumph-...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item1e7c6df060

The fuel pump light along with the slight leak could mean someone tried to change the fuel filter and bent the float which operates the fuel level warning light. A comon mistake because you have to hold your face straight to get the pump in and out of the tank without bending the float.

Back