License Plate and Rear Turn Signal Mod

side mount plate

I used a kuri break light side mount plate and installed bullet lights in the reflectors. Nice clean install.
rockenrobert
gotta see the world, it will only take a minuteLink Removed

I pulled the mechanical flasher unit from under the right side cover tonight and noticed that I had 4 blades. The Electronic Unit you recommend from Dennis Kirk has 3 blades. Is this the correct fit?

I might have pulled the wrong module but I thought someone said that it is the unit most towards the rear.

Since we seem to be on about lighting 'n stuff, here's a great resource for LED replacement-type lamps, in just about all shapes and sizes:

Super Bright LEDs - Car Bulbs

I ordered all-new LED lamps for my MG Midget, wanting to reduce the amount of power the poor, anemic 36-amp Lucas alternator has to push. These guys have excellent customer support (I had one Luxeon 3w bulb that was faulty upon receipt), and decent prices.

Just for reference:

1979 MG Midget MkIV lights
- Front turn/park -- ALX3 1157 (Luxeon 3w dual-intensity) x2
- Rear turns -- ALX3 1156 (Luxeon 3w single-intensity)x2
- Brake/park -- RLX5 1157 (Luxeon 5w dual-intensity)x2
- Side markers -- Red and Amber BA9s R4 (4-LED cluster for BA9 replacement) x2
- License plate -- 3710 CWHP3 (3-LED high intensity, festoon-style) x2
- Reverse lamps -- 4210 xWHP6 (6-LED high intensity, festoon-style. 7000K white) x2
- Instruments -- BA7S-G (single LED green BA7 replacements) x12 *extra replacements

These are, obviously, the older-style twist-in lamps, but the correct bayonet-based bulbs like our R3s use are available.

And let me tell you... when I hit the brakes and light up those 5w Luxes, people behind me cover their eyes! Definitely attention-grabbing and near-impossible to miss; a crucial thing when you drive a car scarcely bigger than our Triumphs!

Most worthwhile modification I've done yet! Lights are wickedly bright, visible in direct sunlight, and cut the power needed to run them to less than a third as before.

Total cost: $238, with shipping. The Luxes were pricey little bastards.

Mr. Pig,

I got the electronic flasher unit from Dennis Kirk (3 pole type) and swapped it out for the stock mechanical one. When I activated the turn signal, the lights would come on but would not flash (let it run about 15 secs). The other side did the same. Is this normal for this unit? I have not installed the rear LED's just yet.

Looks great Pig, how did you sort out lighting the liscense plate? I am considering doing this mod as well but I can not figure out how to get wires to the plate for lighting without it looking like crap.

LS

In that position it was not lit. Vertical mount is not kosher in my state anyway. I have since gone to the Rivco plate relocater which incorporates the light.

Yeah that is what I have on mine right now. Did you get a fix it ticket, or just decide to go back to the old mounting style.

Thanks for the replys, I will probably end up leaving it as it is and concentrate on how to get this m109r front fender mounted. :D

LS

Back