Let's talk "low fuel level lights"

RoadVenture

.060 Over
I have only had my '05 RIII for a short time but it has already become obviuos that the low fuel indicator light is pretty much useless. I find that when I filled the tank that it would come on after 50 miles of riding. I can accept that it is a useless feature.

But, is the accessory fuel gauge any better? Will it tell me that my tank is 1/2 or 3/4 gone after 50 miles? Does anyone have the Triumph fuel gauge that can comment on it's accuracy? I like the looks of the accessory fuel gauge and clock but would like to know if the fuel gauge does what it is supposed to do......

Also, does the fuel gauge wiring need to be spliced into the wiring harness someplace or has Triumph provided a plug somewhere that it can just be mounted and then plugged in?

Let's talk about what you have to do........

I have only had my '05 RIII for a short time but it has already become obviuos that the low fuel indicator light is pretty much useless. I find that when I filled the tank that it would come on after 50 miles of riding. I can accept that it is a useless feature.

But, is the accessory fuel gauge any better? Will it tell me that my tank is 1/2 or 3/4 gone after 50 miles? Does anyone have the Triumph fuel gauge that can comment on it's accuracy? I like the looks of the accessory fuel gauge and clock but would like to know if the fuel gauge does what it is supposed to do......

Also, does the fuel gauge wiring need to be spliced into the wiring harness someplace or has Triumph provided a plug somewhere that it can just be mounted and then plugged in?

If you ask Tom, he'll tell you that the sending units for the low fuel warning light are all over the place depending on how it was installed at the factory (the position of the unit in relationship to the fuel remaining in the tank). You can remove it and tweak the bracket a bit to make the level alarm come on later, but it's a job. The fuel gage plugs into the harness so there is no splicing. It's a straight plug in. The bad part is, the fuel gage uses the same sensor that the warning light does so the gage won't be any more accurate than the light itself. Get yourself a shop manual (or borrow Tom's) and you'll see the fuel sending assembly. It's in tandem with the fuel pump and filter and it's all bolted to the underside of the tank and gasketed. On my bike the light comes on at 150 miles. I find it a little irritating especially at night but I can live with it. It just reminds me to look for a gas station in the future.

Flip,

Tom has already mentioned the inconsistancies with the fuel level warning light. I find it completely irresponsible of a company to incorporate a feature and then not pay attention to making it function in a meaningful way. Triumph is certainly not alone in this area, but I often wonder why auto manufacturers (using the same knowledge base and technology) can get it right, yet motorcycle manufacturers leave us to search for "black boxes" to correct speedometer errors and (now, I learn) that Triumph does not know how to make a fuel gauge. It's just sad.

I'll dive into it to correct their error in time. I find this very frustrating.

hey

Take it back to the dealer and tell them to ajust it right.
Mine has been right from day 1.
When my light goe's off I have a little over a gallon left which I like because of some of the way out places I go.

When my light goe's off I have a little over a gallon left which I like because of some of the way out places I go.

Paul:

He didn't buy it from a dealer. He bought the bike from VonBonds. That's why it has all the performance stuff on it. One mans ceiling is another mans floor...........

He could theoretically take it to the Baltimore, Maryland dealer and pay the labor rate to get it adjusted (bent) or get a shop manual and do it himself. Me, I'd opt for the latter.

It's not that hard to take apart or reassemble. The trick is getting the proper 'bend' on the arm and it's a trial-and error method. No two bikes seem to be the same. they all differ a little as to when the light comes on.

Last edited:
RoadVenture: Your, 50 miles and it's on, symptom is only the second lowest level I've heard of. Another recent post spoke of 30 or 35 miles and the light was one. Mine varies on attitude. 110-135, depending on my attitude. I'm adjusted to it. Although, as Flip mentions, that **** BRIGHT yellow light at night is a pain and it's on my blind side. I park my Wrigles over it, till I get to the next filler-up.

Flip: Wasn't there mention of a voltage specification that takes the guesswork out; rather than the trial and error approach?? A .5 volt strikes a chord.

Last edited:

Paul,

I'm not really to interested in taking it to the dealer. It might get the issue resolved, but the cost could be excessive. From what I understand about how the sensor works I can probably solve the problem myself.

It's not a bad job from what I hear. I'd just be careful about any sparks or be sure you have your insurance (both bike and you) up to date.

Yuk, yuk......... yeah, and maybe I should use the electric lights in my garage instead of the ususal gas lamps?????????:rolleyes:

Back