Status
Not open for further replies.

Claviger

Aspiring Student
Ride
'21 Z H2, '14 R3R, '02 Daytona 955i
Ok, I need to preface this with a disclaimer that I am not particularly knowledgeable about cams and am seeking education on why they stock ones are the way they are and what could be done to improve on them :p

Using the FSM the important numbers are given at 1mm (0.0393701"):
Lift - I/E - 0.326772"/0.326772"
In - Open at 12 BTDC, Close 28 ABDC, Duration 220
Exh - Open 41 BBDC, Close 11 ATDC, Duration 232

Using a calculator I found at wallace racing online I get -
LSA - 101.5
In Centerline - 98
Ex Centerline - 105
Overlap of - 23

As much as I understand cam dimensions (not much) this is a pretty conservative cam.

How can this cam spec be improved for better overall performance?
What would have to change to move peak torque up 1000 RPM?

Last edited:
What I am wondering is why a 1050 triple has a longer and flatter torque curve than the R3. Of course it only about half as high, but the fact it spans 6000 RPM and is so flat for so long is what I am wondering. Is it possible to extend the R3 curve so its basically flat from 2k-7k at the cost of a little bottom end torque? See below:

2012-triumph-speed-triple-r-hp-and-torque-dyno-2.jpg

I have had Neville lush's cams fitted and love the torque curve nice and flat it just keeps pulling

Attachments

• 20141002_164327.jpg
    20141002_164327.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
Ya your bike is the one that got me thinking about partially scott. What I don't really understand is how the smaller bikes extend the torque curve over a 6000 rpm range where the rocket typically has a flat area of 3000 or less, yours obviously extending it a bit more.

Scott, yours is cams, ces, ramair, and who tuned it? Stock valves, springs, and no head porting right?

Ya your bike is the one that got me thinking about partially scott. What I don't really understand is how the smaller bikes extend the torque curve over a 6000 rpm range where the rocket typically has a flat area of 3000 or less, yours obviously extending it a bit more.

Scott, yours is cams, ces, ramair, and who tuned it? Stock valves, springs, and no head porting right?
yes no head work yet and Dyno by fred at procycle dyno

Scott you sure Lushy didn't fit pistons along with the cams ? Thought they came as a package , higher compression pistons that is.

IDK, I think Carpenter does pretty good, a little higher in the rpm band, but continues up past 8000 rpm. Have odd problem here of sometimes being able to load pics, sometimes not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back